Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Chainring confusion…..
  • DrP

Right…
    I’ve got an XT m770 chain set on my meta, but I’m running double and bash (22/36). It’s been ages since I replaced the rings – I’m sure the 36 is an XT, and the inner is a steel deore… Both 9 speed.

I’m looking to replace them both (ideally 24 36) and its a minefield!
    I’m mostly happy running 9 speed, and I’ve just stuck a new cassette on the rear, so will stick with that!

Can someone help me, or suggest some decent ish chainrings? I can’t find any XT in 36t any more, but there is SLX double specific Here, and an SLX inner from crc too.
    Will this fit and work? What features make it double specific, and as I’m running double only, I take it this is better?!!!

Geesh, too much choice! I’m heading back to the cave to make things…..

DrP

nonk
    Free Member
    perthmtb
    Free Member

I’d go for that M665, and yes it will fit your M770 cranks. What makes it double specific is that most 36T Shimano rings are designed to work in a 26/36/48 combination, whereas this one is designed for a 22/36 combo. Specifically it has differently contoured ramps, tooth phase, and a ‘deeper’ ring – all designed to make the shifting between the 22 granny and 36 big ring as trouble free as possible. Its difficult to describe all these features, but if you put a ‘normal’ 36 ring and the M665 next to each other, the differences become obvious.

Now, I’ve had this debate here and on other forums before – and I know many have used other 36 rings without problems. Equally, a number of people have had chain rub & drop and clunky shifting by using other 36T rings. Personally I’m anal about my shifting, and expect it to be as smooth as silk, and I’ve tried other 36 rings in combination with a small granny, and the M665 is definitely the best.

Now the negatives. Its alloy, so will wear quicker than a steel Deore 36. Secondly, it’s real ugly – but if you’re hiding it with a bash this won’t be a problem!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

most from raceface, FSA and middleburn will fit. Just roll down the LBS with the old ones….

scaredypants

I had one of those FSA “downhill” unramped rings in a 34 for a while on a double & bash

Shifted just fine IMO, maybe very slightly slower/noisier but that’s your lot

DrP

M665 on its way – interesting to see how the shifting compares to the current triple XT middle on there…

DrP

perthmtb
    Free Member

Dr P, you won’t be disappointed.

By the way, what FD do you have? If you haven’t already got a double specific one, now might be the time to pick up one of those as well, as there’s some good deals around on the SLX 2×9 stuff because the 2×10 is already out. Like here

DrP

I’ve an XT – tbh I’ve never had issue with the shifting, and am simply replacing worn rings…. Think I’ll leave the mech for now, but ta for the link…

DrP

andyl
    Free Member
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Chainring confusion…..’ is closed to new replies.