Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Chainring bolts: Threadlock? Grease? Anti-seize? or Dry??
  • LardLover
    Free Member

Just putting the rings on my new chainset and having a little ‘moment’. Now, normally I use a threadlock on my chainring bolts but, having none left, I was thinking of using some grease, or some anti-seize copper grease compoundy-stuff. I won’t be putting them in dry.

So, just thought I’d do a quick straw poll:

Grease?

Anti-seize?

Threadlock?

Ta

spock
    Free Member

grease gets my vote

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

copaslip for me

dobo
    Free Member

dry!

foxyrider
    Free Member

I’d go in dry or some locktite 😉

epicyclo

Anything I may want to undo later gets greased whether or not the manufacturer approves.

tony24
    Free Member

can i recommend not lock tighting them as i done it and i was a real pain in the a** trying to get them out the other day…

sv

Coppaslip/copper grease for mine too.

R.lepecha

Dry!

LardLover
    Free Member

hehehe, so coppaslip/copper grease, a bit of grease, one threadlock and a couple of dry.

Onzadog
    Free Member

In order of preference,
    Thread lock
    Anti seize
    Grease

Dry isn’t even an option.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Dry been ok here for steel ones. Any lube will be fine though.

Hang on I’ll sound like more of an expert if I say:

“I use no other than Chris King modified NASA Space Shuttle grease-threadlock hybrid SAE40/50WD40GT85WTF111”

LardLover
    Free Member

Has that stuff got any copper in cynic-al?

Drac

Copperslip for me.

LardLover
    Free Member

Slippery copper stuff it is. All done now, thanks for your imput chaps

dobo
    Free Member

why people put slippery copper stuff on something that you really dont want to unexpectantly undue on you is beyond me. i’ve never seized a bolt on a ring before..but then i ride my bike and replace rings every now and then 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Folk need to believe they are using the ideal hi tech prduct.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

coppaslip is hardly hitech snake oil. Well proven in its correct use.

If you like to keep things for years and don’t like drilling out seized bolts then don’t do them up dry.
    Dobo – coppaslip is not particularly slippy – its antiseize. I have never had a coppaslipped bolt undo of its own accord

pcb
    Free Member

+1 for coppaslip

dobo
    Free Member

well you are a dinosaur TJ 😉

did you do a cheeky edit or am i really that drunk, anyway i have some shimano copperslip and use it but not there, i know what its like and was unly really trolling 😉 and found the op comment on slippry funny and worth a dig

TrentSteel
    Free Member

Why would you need antiseize on a stainless steel bolt, is it really going to corrode before the chain ring needs replacing anyway

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cheeky edit dobo

cynic-al
    Free Member

Never said “snake oil” TJ. Coppaslip is hi tech compared to grease and IMO/E unecessary on bikes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

IMO/ E it is better at preventing parts seizing – but grease is almost as good an 6 million times better than dry

Its no hassle to buy a pot. I have a pot of ordinary grease, one of coppaslip and various grades of locktite. I just put the appropriate one on every thread. I think the coppaslip was about a fiver for half a kilo. I even stripped my new bike to apply it. I haven’t had a bolt seize that has some on it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

When I was cutting my teeth as an engineer I was told by an old boy in the work shop that if two metal surfaces meet and move, grease them, if they meet and don’t move, use anti seize. Possibly over simplifying things but not a bad guide.

Pants! Did I just agree with TH? Sorry folks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

How does that prove it’s better than grease? The fact you stripped a bike to apply it tends to show you are keen to show it works and now have vested interest.

FWIW my time servicing commuter bikes showed me it’s salt (including sweat on bikes used on turbos!) that seizes most components, although some seize just from water, like alu quill stems on old road bikes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Al – read what I wrote.

Its not proof. I didn’t claimn it was.

You are right – its salt that accelerates corrosion that causes bolts to seize

I do it because my decades of experience tells me that if you don’t put something on parts seize. Anti-seize lasts longer that grease in a thread. It does not wash out as quickly

In the past I have had bolts seize. Since using antiseize I haven’t.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

You are right
    *retires after what feels like a lifetime’s work*

EDIT 😀 x infinity

Xylene
    Free Member

Superglue all the way

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Chainring bolts: Threadlock? Grease? Anti-seize? or Dry??’ is closed to new replies.