Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Chainline question…
  • Scapegoat

I’ve got an SLX triple converted to double and bash on my Soul. I run it with a BB mounted Blackspire Stinger, 36-22 over 11-34. On a couple of occasions recently I’ve found myself trying to pedal it small-small and suffering a chain jammed between the ring and the chainstay. Obviously chainline is fine all across the cassette in the big ring, which is in the middle ring position, but the granny is still where it would be on a triple.

Logic states if I were to spacer the BB (73mm) then the chainline may be improved enough for the jamming to stop.

1) Is this right, will it help?
    2) will it cause axle/crank problems on the non-drive side?
    3) If it will work, do I put the spacer inboard or outboard of the Stinger?
    4) Must I always remember to swap to the big ring once I’m getting onto the smaller cogs?
    or
    5) Am I barking up the wrong tree and ought to be looking elsewhere for the cause of the jamming (brand new granny and chain, so chainsuck is unlikely cause) ?

passtherizla
    Free Member

Yeah you’re still not supposed to use small/small when going to 2×10

martinxyz
    Free Member

If you put another spacer in there then you wont be able to locate the stopper plate pin into the axle. If you remove it, it will still be wrong as there wont be enough axle inside the l/h crank arm.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Chainline question…’ is closed to new replies.