Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Chainless … instead, pullies!
  • grtdkad

I’m sure someone must have picked this up but just in case, it’s quite ‘novel’:

String Chain Bicycle

This unique bike has strings instead of greasy chains.

Posted by Interesting Engineering on Friday, October 6, 2017

Courtesy of stringbike.com

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s not really novel – like most of these “new” bike drive ideas, they reappear as soon as everyone forgets about the last time they appeared 😀

Problem with that particular system is how do you do gearing? It’d need a custom hub gear or crank gear, very expensive. And what’s the massive improvement that makes it worth the cost and hassle?

Some rowbikes use a Kevlar string system – sometimes on a spiral conical pulley to change gear. That’s a good application of the idea that’s been around for a while.

aracer
    Free Member

It appears to have gearing. I’m not suggesting it’s not rubbish, but it does look like they’ve found a way to do that.

bencooper
    Free Member

Ah, that’s an improvement on earlier incarnations – but my comments still stand 😉

I’m reminded of an inventor who once wanted my help to make his revolutionary new drive system. It was fantastically complex – linkages, helical shafts, spiral gears, a nightmare to machine. I kept asking him what the advantage was, and after lots of waffle he eventually came up with one: if you pedal forwards, the bike goes forwards, but if you pedal backwards the bike still goes forwards. I convinced him that that wasn’t really the USP he thought it was…

bencooper
    Free Member

Anyway, speaking of stupid drive systems, have we done this yet?

[video]https://youtu.be/SuqZdN5jsZI[/video]

wombat

Ha Ha Ha 😆

grtdkad

…”on a mission to unlock the full potential of the bicycle”

Looks like it could be a death trap on anything other than the completely flat.

AlexSimon

aracer – Member

It appears to have gearing. I’m not suggesting it’s not rubbish, but it does look like they’ve found a way to do that. I actually thought the gearing was quite nicely done!
    It belongs on a kinetic sculpture though rather than a bike I suppose.

I liked it anyway 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Chainless … instead, pullies!’ is closed to new replies.