Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Chain wear on 11spd XT
  • bigpins
    Free Member

I have been running a KMC dlc chain on XT 11spd since September last year, just popped down to my LBS and its worn past recommended. I have bought a new chain but the guy tried selling me a new block. I’m pretty sure its fine ( I take it off weekly for a clean and isn’t showing any signs of wear). Do you think it will have gone too? Bearing in mind 90% of it is steel with only the 42t ali. I do about 75/90 miles a week and I surprised the chain has gone so quickly. I know its recommended that you replace the block when the chain has died but id have thought the steel rings would wear a lot slower than an ali chain!

jemima
    Free Member

I thought DLC chains were supposed to live forever?

I reckon on average I need a new cassette every 4-5 chains, changing the chain before it wears too much.

If the chain doesn’t skip on the cassette then you don’t need a new cassette!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If the chain doesn’t skip on the cassette then you don’t need a new cassette!

Pretty much this.

steel rings would wear a lot slower than an ali chain!

Chains are steel (unless they’re Ti, but those are £150-£300).

Shimano changed the way they make chains when they went to 10speed and there was allegedly (some magazine did actually test it out and it was true for their test), they used to be made by KMC for shimano so I’d infer that Shimano XT chains should be better than KMC.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

depends how worn the chain you taking off is?
    if it between 0.75 and 1 (on a park chain wear tool) you prob be OK and don’t need a block
    it it is past 1 then highly likely you need a new block.

But as above if you doing it yourself put new chain on, ride it and see if it slips.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Chain wear on 11spd XT’ is closed to new replies.