Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • chain tugs for track bike
  • iainc

wondering about getting a set of these. anyone use them ?

nicko74

Sorry, I haven’t – but have you also looked at the Surly tuggnut? I’ve got one of them, works well.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

They’re supposed to be the Rolls Royce of tugnuts but they’re darned pricey. I bought some really cheap n nasty stamped steel ones off ebay which didn’t fit my track ends well and chipped some of the paint off. The yoke which sits around the axle was all off centre too so I ditched them.

I’ve found tightening up the non drive side nut, then pushing the wheel against the drive side chainstay and tightening the drive side nut tensions the chain nicely with the need for tugnuts…

iainc

thanks for thoughts so far. Similarly not convinced that it’s £25 I need to spend, and I don’t have the wheel out the track bike that often.

They do look like nice wee gadgets though 🙂

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

More weight 😉

iainc

hah 🙂 will think about it… I guess they make the internal width of the axle a couple of mm wider too, so maybe a squeeze to get wheel in with them on.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

What velodrome do you ride in?

iainc

Glasgow. You ?

I’ve been using same method as you , non drive side first then tighten drive side, with the bike in the workstand ideally and gravity to hang wheel down with some chain tension

TiRed

Took them off a Langster. If your wheel is coming loose, use a longer spanner.

iainc

TiRed – so you don’t rate them ?

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Yeah me too, thought I recognised the name! Trying to get back into a regular winter regime.

iainc

ah, nice one 🙂 I love it for these cold wet dark evenings, although I’m not likely to give up my regular Wed MTB night ride for track league. On the 8pm drop in tonight 🙂

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I was down there this morning, shaking down my newly-built bike 😆

I don’t have a regular night at the moment, just as-and-when. What do you ride? Will keep an eye out and say hi next time.

iainc

Lee, I’m on a red Dolan PreCursa with white tape and saddle (and maybe some chain tugs 🙂 )

What you on ?

I try and get in once a week, sometimes Mon, sometimes Thu, or occasioanlly a Sat afternoon. I don’t think the Calendar is well thought out for drop ins unless you can go during the working day 🙁

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Yep, the sessions are rubbish; they need to accomodate for sessions after working hours! Luckily for me I’m self employed so I can usually juggle work around and nip along during the day.

I’m on a Brick Lane Bikes thing I’ve just built up (any excuse to post a pic 🙄 )

iainc

that certainly look a bit different from the run of the track bikes that are spinning around the Velodrome 🙂

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

That’s a damn good looking bike. I’ve never used chaintugs, but that’s street and fixed TT riding, not track.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Haha cheers guys, it’s turned out well. I’ve been obsessing over it all summer.

iainc

…think I’m going to leave the chain tugs for now, thanks for advice

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘chain tugs for track bike’ is closed to new replies.