Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Chain tug on my inbred
  • themyers
    Free Member

I am having chain ‘issues’ on my SS horizontal drop inbred. I have the on-one tug and have to take the nuts off to get enough pull (if that makes sense). Also I am using those halo hex skewers (the ones you need an allen key for).

However, the chain keeps loosing tension and I think the wheel is slipping. Do you think the tug is not doing the job and/or the skewers need to be more heavy duty (e.g. track ones)

Any suggestions? Setting them up every ride is getting to be a pain!

Cheers

Andy

wwaswas

I think if you post a pic it would help but if you’ve taken the nuts off then there’s nothign but the skewer stopping the hub sliding in the dropout is there?

themyers
    Free Member

sorry that was a c**p description, I will post a pic, but in the mean time – the on one tug has two bolts each with a nut on (presumably to stop it undoing itself) however, I have to take these off or there is not enough length in the bolt to stretch the chain out enough (as here http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FSOOCT/on-one-chaintug)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    takisawa2

After faffing around with various chain-tugs, I eventually swapped the axle to an old fashioned solid one with 15mm nuts. Can tighten it a bit more, & it never moves now. Getting tension is easy as the wheel can be “walked backwards” in the dropout. Much less faff than a chain-tug.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Had the same issue
    I Think that various gears create a chain length on the inbred that the traditional on-one tug cant cope with.
    I could have made the chain a link shorter but it was ridiculously short and the wheel was jammed right in as far as it would go and the chain was proper tight on it.

The on-one chain tug just didnt have enough adjustment to cope with the chain having an extra link in it. So either get a half link. Or some DMR chain tugs like I did. Or you could put a different cog up front or out back.

Strangely, my gear was 32-16 which i took to be THE definitive gear for SS offroad hacking about?

pixelmix
    Free Member

Yes, the On One tugs aren’t long enough for all gear ratios. I’m now running 34/17 and it was *just* fine when the chain was new, but has now stretched slightly, and the chain comes off with the screws done up tightly. Taking out a link made the chain too short, so I have one half link which I add to my 8 speed chain to get it to an acceptable length. Once it stretches a bit more, I’ll take the half link back out. Had to do the same when I was running 32/13 too.

I find I’m fettling with the tension quite often. I think the chainline is straight, and the skewer is not bent, but I’m now wondering if the axle is damaged, as the chain tension doesn’t seem to be even. Most annoying.

Long story short – you might need one half link (available from velo solo) or a half link chain.

themyers
    Free Member

thanks for the replys. i was thinking of a half link as an option or maybe new tugs so may go with both as then will have a bit more flexibilty.

am i right in thinking i cannot ust stick a solid axle as they are are wider and so wont go through my fulcrum hub or is that bull? i must say i have a solid axle on my s/s road bike and that never slips!

Picto
    Free Member

Used one surly chain tug with the q/r adaptor on the drive side and had no problem re chain tension using a standard chain on my old inbred 29er. Could even open bottles with it!

themyers
    Free Member

yea, i have heard those surly’s are good, they seem to be good for long drops, maybe i will get one of those

brassneck

Second Surly, I have a Virtue rather than an Inbred but all my issues went away when I threw the supplied tugs in the hedge and bought a Surly.
    Independent studies have shown I am at least 34% more attractive to the opposite sex too 🙂

themyers
    Free Member

sorry….forgot to ask, with a half link is there a specific one i need or can i get any i.e. are they all the same size?

cheers:)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

half links come in two sizes, 3/32″ (which is compatible with a 7/8speed chain) or 1/8″ which works with 1/8″ bmx chains.

brant
    Free Member

Yes, the On One tugs aren’t long enough for all gear ratios

I think it’s more that the idiot designer at the time got his sums wrong.

(blush).

MrTall
    Free Member

Same for me too on my Inbred.

Ditched the OnOne chaintug and have had no problems since using a Surly One.

themyers
    Free Member

haha brant:)

thanks for the info david, i reckon now i will go half link, put the nuts back on the on-one, and if that still isnt working get a surly too

sweet, cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Chain tug on my inbred’ is closed to new replies.