Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Chain tensioners single speed
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

So do i need one? Got one bike set up with one, works fine.

But do I really need it on another build, will I die?

Cheers in advance

Junkyard
    Free Member

you might get the perfect chainline [very unlikely] but unless you have sliding drops or an EBB basically yes. However its your nuts that will hit the bike so your choice 😉

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

I needed one and being a cheapskate used an old 105 mech. Took one jockey wheel and the frame pivot spring out so it doesn’t flap about (needed some washers put in its place). Used the end of an old gear inner to set the alignment, it’s brilliant.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    downhillfast
    Free Member

Do you need one? Depends on the frame you’re using and if you can be lucky enough to find the “magic gear”.
    But probably, yes.
    If it works on your other bike then why not?

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Or does the op mean do I really need another singlespeed bike?, in which case yes of course.

And you will also die but not from this thankful.

breadcrumb

The magic gear will only work until the chain wears/stretches.

I love my slidey drop out Unit.

nickjb
    Free Member

Its the best solution IMO. Magic ratio only works for a short while. Sliding drop outs look neat but you need to keep adjusting them, and then sometimes adjust the brake. Put a tensioner in the “ugly but it works” category

oldnpastit

EBB FTW!

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

I have a 1990 Cannondale I want to build up. I would like it to have a cleaner look.

Just wondering why you need it? I am not new to all this but my brain cant work out why its needed! and this is better than google

Bez

If you don’t have it, you will almost certainly keep losing the chain.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Yes but at the bb.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Just wondering why you need it?

the chain will drop [ multiple times per ride ]and either when
    1) going over something rocky/bumpy
    2) when you put on full force to go uphill – the sudden loss of tension there leading to a nuts stem interface moment

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

2) when you put on full force to go uphill – the sudden loss of tension there leading to a nuts stem interface moment

I have had my kids…..dont need them anymore the wife says.

joshvegas
    Free Member

You need it so you dont have to stop all the time toputyour chain backon.

Get a bb tensioner for a cleaner look.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have had my kids…..dont need them anymore the wife says.

there are much less painful ways of achieving this

BruceWee

If the chain length is almost there but not quite you can make a tensioner from an old spoke. Fix the top to the seat stay using zip ties and wrap it around the axle. Use pliers to bend it so that it pushes the chain down (or up but that’s a bit more tricky).

Alternatively you can use a chain guide on the front and rotate it to provide the tension.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I’ve found a magic ratio on my cx bike of 36/15. When the chain stretches to the point it starts dropping off I switch to a 16 tooth cog which makes it bar taught again. When that goes sloppy, it’s new chain time.
    If only everything in life was that simple. 🙂

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

cheers everyone.

so the point of the tensioner is to stop the chain falling off, but if you can get the chain tight enough it won’t as long as it does not pull the wheel out of the dropouts?

Basically I want that look I had as a kid with one gear and one brake on the right as I am right handed. Just got to paint it with blue metalic Humbrol paint…

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I had SS dropouts and a narrow/wide chainring and never dropped a chain. Does that help?

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Gives me confidence, my nuts may not become mixed chopped nuts…

Bez

There’s “not tight enough” and there’s “too tight”. The margin between the two is a small fraction of a millimetre, and if you have vertical dropouts the chances of you being in that range are very, very small.

Also bear in mind that if you only have one brake it will be illegal to ride on any public highways.

downhillfast
    Free Member

As Bez says, legally you must have 2 brakes on the bike.
    I think you’re thinking of a fixed gear bike, where you can use the back wheel as a brake by putting backward pressure on the pedals.big skids! :mrgreen:
    Difference being that a single speed let’s you freewheel.
    A fixie won’t, so you gotta keep your legs spinning even on downhill!
    I’ve not tried a fixed gear off-road. Something tells me it would be rather painful, and probably beyond my skills.

timber

Add half-links to your searching, for fine tuning.

kerley
    Free Member

I think you may be referring to chain tugs as you mention pulling the wheel

If you are then no you don’t need them if you can do wheel up tight enough. I have ridden fixed/sniglespeed for almost 20 years and never used them and never had a wheel slip

kerley
    Free Member

I’ve not tried a fixed gear off-road. Something tells me it would be rather painful, and probably beyond my skills

It is great off road and all my off road riding is on a fixed bike. Provides a good challenge on easy XC type stuff and makes for a VERY low maintenance bike with no gears or brakes.

downhillfast
    Free Member

It is great off road… Provides a good challenge on easy XC type stuff and makes for a VERY low maintenance bike with no gears or brakes

Hmmm….. 2018 might be the year to give it a try then 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve met two people riding fixed off road.

One was Worldclassaccident, which proves that everything is more dangerous than riding fixed off road as it wasn’t that which broke him.

The other was an old guy on a singlecross with a mountainbike front wheel, so it doesn’t fall into the “you never meet any old…………” ideom of dangerous either.

You could get the same look with a back pedal brake, but you still need chain tension and it can’t be a singulator/rear mech style one.

kerley
    Free Member

Why would riding fixed gear off road be dangerous? The only parts of my ride which feel dangerous are the road sections…

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Chain tensioners single speed’ is closed to new replies.