Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • chain suck- is it my cheapo drivetrain?
  • goldfish24

Hello STW

once it gets muddy theres just not enough tension in my chain – back pedalling usually has it flapping against the chainstay. Is it the alivio rear mech?

Anything i can do to keep it going whilst I save for an SLX groupset – would upgrading the rear mech alone help for now?

It’s all pretty clean and well adjusted, generally works good for a cheapo.

spock
    Free Member

do you wipe your chain down alot after oiling it? If you dont all the crap sticks to the chain and causes chainsuck in my experience.

I use Rock & Roll Extreme now and dont have the problem i used to with tf2 wet. R & R Extreme isn’t an oil.

goldfish24

Thanks for the tip – I have recently learnt to wipe it down. I’ve just thought it might be worth checking the freehub spins, er, freely, on my equally cheapo rear hub.

I know it’s probably been a while since any STW’ers have seen an alivio mech, but would anyone say that the spring tension on these is any worse than a quality SLX/XT mech? It seems that would really help me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spock
    Free Member

The springs in the slx/xt/xtr mechs are noticeably stronger yes, You should be able to get it working perfectly regardless, unless its years and years old that it…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

backpedalling with always cause issues as the chain derails

bassspine
    Free Member
    couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Are you getting chainsuck under load pedalling forwards?

As per: http://www.fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/

Have you changed anything recently?

Or is your problem only when backpedalling?

It’s it’s just backpedalling then 2 things: as per TJ, or the freehub is getting sticky / dying.

If you think the derailleur doesnt have enough tension are you sure you’ve got the B screw done properly?

http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#btension

goldfish24

Thanks Spock, I might go for a new mech to help out.
    Jeremy – I should at least be able to reset the cranks at the lights without the chain falling off.

I think I’ll be getting a new chain too – I had a serious chain jam which gouged the chain stay a little while ago, might have bent some links which won’t help.

Cheers for your help all.

Edit – ah thanks for all the replies. Just been readin Sheldon brown actually – got a few things to check now.

rbrstr
    Free Member

I have an SLX groupset, and i had chainsuck too!,made a right mess of the paint on my chainstay.

turned out to be caused by small burrs on the middle ring,hooking the chain back up under load. i removed the ring and gently filed them off, sorted.not done it since.

toys19
    Free Member

All drivetrains get chainsuck, even brand new ones, the problem is really down to clearance between the chainstays and chainrings. Is your bike a 456 by any chance?

goldfish24

OK, with that in mind rbrstr im gonna hold off spending any significant money (apart from new chain) and get my (only 6 month old) drivetrain working properly! I wont give in till it works.

Incidentally, my chain suck incident damaged much more than the paint on my chainstay, and very nearly resulted in me leaping over the bars against the suddenly locked cranks as I pedalled hard to pass a bus!

The frame is actually a cannondale trail (the hardtail one). The clearance is bad, but it’s better since the chain removed a bit of material 😯

Thanks to all.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘chain suck- is it my cheapo drivetrain?’ is closed to new replies.