Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Chain Stretch Question
  • rab5474
    Free Member

Hi there, i just bought a second hand trek ex8 and have been giving it the once over before i go ride this weekend, my chain tool goes into the 0.75 slot with ease and will also go into the 1.0 with a little bit of force, will a new chain suffice or is it new drivetrain time?
    Thanks in advance

Rab

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

trial and error is the only way to know – you might get away with a chain or might not

rab5474
    Free Member

the cassete and chainrings dont look particulary worn there is very very little hooking on the teeth if any

Trimix
    Free Member

Ride it till it starts to slip, then change the lot.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I just got away with it on my last chain swap.Chain checker would just catch going into the 1.0 slot.

For the sake of a cheap chain ,something like a KMC X9 can be had for little more than a tenner,I`d be tempted to give it a go.

rab5474
    Free Member

Think i may just ride whats on it till it dies i allready have a new hg93 chain next question is when the time comes do i replace just cassette or is it the full cassette front rings and jockey wheels

bri-72

I’ve never had issues with new chain on old chainrings. Do end up replacing jockey wheels more regularly tho.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Chain Stretch Question’ is closed to new replies.