Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Chain stay Protector
  • hallz
    Free Member

Evening all

I bought a Lapierre Zesty 314 last year and when the bike was delivered (boxed) one of the components that had to be added to the bike was the chainstay protector. Its of a plasticy / neoprene material and it came with 2 strips of double sided tape to attach it to the frame.

At the time i thought it was unlikely to stay on for long and that turned out to be the case. Since then i have bought a few different kinds of double sided sticky patches (currently trying Scotch ones). But they are all equally useless.

Anyone overcome this problem? Had thought about a couple of cable ties but was looking for a tidier solution?

kimbers

no idea but raceface bought roach and rebadged their chainstay protectors and they are ace, tough, quiet and last much longer than neoprene ones ime

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Race-Face-Cordura-Chainstay-Protector_45976.htm

fadda

In my experience, the neoprene ones with Velcro (a la lizard skins) do OK, although I use roadie handlebar tape secured with a cable tie at each end.

Edit: those cordura ones in kimbers’ post look more hard wearing than neoprene…

hallz
    Free Member

Cheers gents. Just had a look at the link but im not sure that the standard protectors will fit (without butchering them) as the zesty has points along the chainstay where the rear gear cable is fixed to the frame. That means that the protector has to be shaped like this – note you can just make out the cut out on the bottom.

I’d be surprised if this issue hasnt been tackled by every other zesty owner so if anyone can suggest how to deal with the issue rather than an alternative protector it would be helpful! 🙂

Simpsan
    Free Member

I use this stuff http://www.biketart.com/advancedsearch.aspx?Term=Frame%20wrap .
    Works really well, wrap it around the chain stay and it sticks to itself

Onzadog
    Free Member

I often use self amalgamating tape. That was I can work around anything mounted to the chainstay.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Take an inner tube and cut in half down the length. Wrap over itself witg a 50% coverage down the stay zip tie at the ends.

scotroutes

Inner tube – it fits every permutation of chainstay, is long-lasting, doesn’t let crap collect underneath and is cheaply replaceable.

Why would you possibly want something else?

JoeG
    Free Member

self amalgamating tape

+1

jtintheuk
    Free Member

Inner tube and zip ties, best thing ever!

Conan257
    Free Member

Inner tube and zip ties… with a quick wrap of gorilla tape over each end for anal-retentiveness.

IHN

Inner tube wrap held at one end by wrapping over itself and the other with insulation tape.

martinhurton
    Free Member

I tried the inner tube for the first time yesterday and no idea why I never did it before! The quietest ride I’ve had on the bike ever. Should last forever compared to stick-on ones! Guess you could remove your cables, wrap it and then refit cables if theres enough room?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Chain stay Protector’ is closed to new replies.