Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Chain snapped! Help needed
  • zingrock
    Free Member

Hey all, I have never had a chain snap on me before but this morning mine finally did :/

Is it possible to repair the chain? And how?

If not what new chain shall I buy?

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Yes it’s possible to repair broken chains. I don’t suggest you go buy a new one as it will be unlikely to sit on the sprockets correctly due to differing ammounts of wear.

Your simplest and cheapest option is to go to your LBS and buy a power link.

fizzicist
    Free Member
    jonba
    Free Member

As above, you should keep an eye on chain wear and change periodically. Is the chain old? If so you will probably have worn the rings and casette so a new one will slip.

If that is the case you will need a chain splitter (available on multi tools or individually for a workshop) and a powerlink.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

This is a really good website to help with repair info. Their tools are expensive but you can often find cheaper ones on the big bike websites like chainreactioncycles. On-one and superstarcomponents do cheaper tools these days as well.

If you can’t find the answer on the parktool website then google sheldonbrown and have a read through his pages.

Easy enough to repair.

Useful things to have:
    A powerlink (a special chain link that can be used to join a chain without needing any tools)
    A chain tool (from any bike shop or online retailer) or, most multitools (tools to take with you on a ride for minor adjustments/repairs) include a chain tool some of which are good quality.
    Some spare chain links

To fix:

If there are any twisted links, they’ll need to be removed using the chain tool.
    Then add (if you have any*) enough spare links to make up for the damaged ones you have removed, again using the chain tool. You’ll need to end up with an undamaged inner link on one end of the chain. If you have a powerlink you’ll need an inner link at the other end too; if not, it needs to be an outer link.
    Make sure the chain is threaded through both mechs correctly. Take some tension off by dropping the chain off the front chainring.
    If using a powerlink, fit it. If not, use the chain tool again.
    Ride off.

*If you don’t have any spare chain links you can usually get away with a missing link or so but you need to ensure you never shift into large/large.

Golden rules:
    If the chain breaks a second time, replace it.
    Do not expect a chain ‘repaired’ with pliers/hammers/rocks in the absence of a chain tool to last very long

zingrock
    Free Member

Thanks so much for the advice guys, il get a chain link tool tomorrow as well as a powerlink and a few extra links 🙂

excitable1
    Free Member

Nifty tip to ease your pain… get a fairly big paper clip and hook it in to either end of the broken chain when you’re trying to join it back together on the bike as you will almost certainly let it it go at least once.

Also, don’t worry about driving the power link home all the way by hand. Get it so it’s almost there and then pedal it round to finish securing it, you should feel it click into place.

MarkN
    Free Member

Thanks so much for the advice guys, il get a chain link tool tomorrow as well as a powerlink and a few extra links

Just make sure you get the right speed (8/9/10). There are differing links depending on how many gears you have on the cassette on the back wheel.

If not what new chain shall I buy?

Be careful of just fitting a new chain. If the old chain is badly worn (stretched) then so will the cassette and chain rings. This means that a new chain will most likely slip as it will not engage properly with the now worn teeth.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Chain snapped! Help needed’ is closed to new replies.