Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • chain skipping problem – help needed!
  • MrCrushrider
    Free Member

Hi,

i put a new cassette on in march and dont a few hundred mile since then. anyway, snapped my chain last week and put a new one on.

i fitted it at the right length and everything yet when im in the hardest gear it skips like a bugger. i really wouldnt have thought that the cassette is that worn, but something isnt matching up.

is it time for another new cassette or what?

advice is appreciated!

ta

Ben

docrobster
    Free Member

Have you got a stiff link?
    Try circling the cranks backwards and see if it snags on the bottom jockey- where you joined the chain it may be a little stiff- need to use the chain tool to open the link out slightly

RicB

I would expect a chain to last more than a few hundred miles before stretching enough to wear a cassette.

You should try and borrow a chain wear indicator from someone to see how worn your old chain is/was.

Only other thing it can be is a twisted link (usually an inner link) on the new chain.

If it's not overly worn, why don't you just repair your old chain with a powerlink and carry on using it?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

think it is a stiff link. the old chain was very old – 2years old i think, so when it snapped again i binned it.

i'll inspect the links tonight and see what happens

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

2 yr old chain? worn out and worn the cassette out would be my guess

redx

Does it happen on all your chainrings? If not, I'd suspect one of your chainrings is the culprit, probably the middle one…….

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

no, just the hardest gears on the cassette.

i think it'll be a stiff link – cassette doesnt look too worn

Nezbo
    Free Member

Check your middle chainring, i'ed bet i could be that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘chain skipping problem – help needed!’ is closed to new replies.