Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • chain sizing – your method ?
  • the_lecht_rocks

2 + bash – how do YOU size your chain ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

big-big @ longest c’stay (if suspended) + 1

scaredypants

hardtail – big to big with a little bit of spare in the mech springs

sus – as above with a couple of extra links for supension movement (suppose you could take out the shock & check it’s enough but I never have)

the_lecht_rocks

longest c’stay will be at full extension, no compression, i assume , or is it frame specific ?

uplink
    Free Member

big-big +2 for me

twohats
    Free Member

What cynic-al said.
    Big big plus 2.
    I always size mine with the spring removed and shock at full compression, don’t bother threading chain through the mech when sizing, as that’s what the extra links are for.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I presume you mean a new chain on a new bike – othersie I hand both on a nail and trim to size of last chain (i.e. count links) coz its never sooo stretched as to get confusing 😉

the_lecht_rocks

so many variants !

Surfr
    Free Member

Big-big +2 here too, as read in thew SRAM instructions which come with my chains.

brassneck

Foxy, thats because chains don’t actually stretch, they just wear out inside the links I believe – so they should be the same length/number of links.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’m clearly the monkey here because I fit the chain with a speed link then remove the “right” number and reattach the speedlink.

scaredypants

brassneck: chains don’t actually stretch, they just wear out inside the links I believe – so they should be the same length/number of links

you can argue semantics if you wish in terms of stretch vs wear, but they DO get longer (that’s how chain-checkers work)

atlaz: I’m clearly the monkey here because I fit the chain with a speed link then remove the “right” number and reattach the speedlink

The discussion is about how you determine the “right” number – I’d guess we nearly all use powerlinks or similar

foxyrider
    Free Member

Foxy, thats because chains don’t actually stretch, they just wear out inside the links I believe – so they should be the same length/number of links.

well when you hang them up they are sl longer thats what I was pointing out. I am aware the link plates dont “stretch” but the overall length changes beause the pivots wear and become thinner. Thanks for pointing out what chain stretch is brassneck though 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘chain sizing – your method ?’ is closed to new replies.