Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Chain rings 7 speed where from
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

I have a road bike that has 2 x 7 setup both the front chainrings are pretty worn so would like to replace them. the crank seems to be made by CPI and the chainrings have 5 mounting bolts and are PCD of 130mm.

I can’t find many chainrings advertised as 7 speed most are advertised as 8,9,10 etc are they compatible.

It is not a high end bike so cheap and chearfull is good.

crikey
    Free Member

I think it doesn’t matter, the chain speed rating, 7,8,9, or 10, gets narrower as the number goes up and this doesn’t affect the way the chain rides on the chainrings.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

A bump for the weekend crowd. Surely seen as the cassette’s and chains are different the chainrings also must be different.

Onzadog
    Free Member

as crikey says, as the numbers go up, the rings get thinner. But they still work. They’re backwards compatible.

boxelder

In theory 8 will last longer than 9, but both will work fine. No difference from 7-8 anyway – the extra gear was accommodated by a wider free hub.

jonba
    Free Member

I don’t know if they have them but check spa cycles and SJS cycles. They stock weird and wonderful chainrings.

ajantom

I wouldn’t worry about it too much.
    On one bike I’m currently running a 9spd cassette with an 8spd chain, mated to a 1992 XT crankset and rings, all shifted by a 1991 7spd Suntour thumbshifter in friction mode. All works perfectly!

eskay

Just fitted one on an 8 speed and it is marked 9/10 speed, it works fine.

mickolas
    Free Member

ribble cycles. chainrings are universal. give em a ring first if you’re concerned.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Chain rings 7 speed where from’ is closed to new replies.