Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Chain Reaction equivalent for sailing
  • oddjob
    Free Member

I am getting an old Finn dinghy fit to go back in the water and I need a few bits and bobs along with a buoyancy aid.

Any good recommendations for online chandlers?

logical
    Free Member
    bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmmm.. let me think..

No, no none imports like CRC do. So you’ll end up paying what everyone else does.

Can recommend a few though:

Rooster Sailing, he’s excellent and is my first choice/point of call for anything dingo related, always happy to help irrespective of what boat you have.

LDC Racing Sailboats. Ok so in the main they look after and sell the range of thier own boats but do have a good chandlers online.

Aladins Cave in Swanwick..

Northampton Sailboats..

Also join the Finn Assoc, they’ll help you out with mods and kit and info that could prove invaluble.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I am getting an old Finn dinghy fit to go back in the water

Generation….inspired! 🙂

fizzicist
    Free Member

I’d always recommend Rooster – Steve and Cliff are really helpful and do it to make a living rather than lift your leg.

jambalaya
    Free Member

You can try Force 4 but they may be more big boat than dinghy. I like to support the local chandlery (which in my case is Force 4) just like the LBS as without them you’re stuffed in an emergency.

tang
    Free Member

I know the owner of force 4. Nice chap

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Plastimo? If you can live without the Harken and RWO logos then I always foud the stuff just fine.

+1 for Rooster as well.

[edit] wasn’t plastimo I was thinking of, either that or they’ve changed their business model. Who made the brightly coloured blocks?

igrf
    Free Member

P&B or Purple Marine or go on the Y&Y forum and PM Rodney, he’s on a thread at the moment organising a regatta for forum regulars, he’s the Finn importer so would help. There’s a renewed interest in the Finn post Olympics.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Purple Marine still going??

Cripes.

Bought my first RS200 from them back in the day.. and it was Purple.
    😕

oddjob
    Free Member

Thanks for the input guys.

Oddly enough my inspiration came initially from a holiday in Cornwall watching the boat races in the harbour but it’s hard to deny that watching the Finn racing in Weymouth wasn’t also part of the appeal. I sailed the open circuit in Enterprises about 20 years ago and I really can’t wait to get back on the water.

It’s funny, I’ve been living in Denmark for 8 years now complaining about the lack of landscape and the constant wind. I somehow didn’t manage to put together the proximity to water and steady wind and come up with the idea of getting back into sailing. 🙄

igrf
    Free Member

That forum link, I didn’t have it at the time Contact Rodney he’s the Finn distributor local to the UK, the dinghy world is small enough for that personal touch.

Denmark eh? That Jonas dude was unlucky to lose to Ainslie, he beat seven kinds of crap out of him on the circuit most of the week and Ainslie was really jammy to podium, possibly helped by his kiwi mate by taking the dutch guy out at a key moment.

hs125
    Free Member

Didn’t Wiggle have a sailing section a while back? I’m sure I got some gloves from them.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

mailspeed marine

oddjob
    Free Member

igrf

Yeah, it was pretty heartbreaking for that Jonas dude and it was oddly the first time that I have felt torn between supporting Brits and Danes. It really felt like Jonas had earned that gold medal, but then Ben Ainslie didn’t get where he is without being a very canny competitor.

For the time being I am planning on just sailing from the beach at the inlaws summer house, but if I enjoy it enough I may consider racing again in the future although that will probably require more time and money than I have available at the moment. I guess I can’t really compete with this 30 year old boat I just picked up with original rigging 🙂

Thanks again for the links. It seems that the real killer is the shipping cost. CRC and Wiggle obviously get better courier rates than smaller chandlers so shipping is ~£25 for buoyancy aids etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Chain Reaction equivalent for sailing’ is closed to new replies.