• This topic has 42 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Chain Reaction Complete your order emails
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

I wish they would stop these. Cant even add something to the shopping basket without getting a barrage of emails saying “don’t miss out complete your basket”.
    As soon as I put anything in there I get at least 3 emails a day until I empty the basket.
    I could just log out or use the wishlist but that’s not the point.

thegreatape
    Free Member

The other day I got one after the thankyou for your order email. Nobbers.

JEngledow
    Free Member

The other day I got one after the thankyou for your order email.

Me too!

Jamie
    Free Member

Rutland Cycles do the same.

It’s like they think people are idiots, and got distracted by some tinfoil so forgot to place their order.

BUT THANK GOD I GET AN EMAIL REMINDING ME!

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m currently getting lots of adverts from Toolstop, offering a 5% discount if I complete my order.

Which is even more annoying because I did complete my order and didn’t get a discount.

lemonysam
    Free Member

It’s like they think people are idiots, and got distracted by some tinfoil so forgot to place their order.

You’d be amazed how effective they are though, we get something like 10 times more abandoned baskets coming back to check out if we send reminders than if we don’t.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

how come folks add stuff to their basket buy dont complete the order?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I use online shops when I can’t find a calculator and need to do some sums. Simply browse until you find products where the prices match the numbers you need to add up, add to basket, go to checkout, and hey presto, the sum is done for you.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Its an easy way to add up how much the parts for that “new build” are going to cost,

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I use it to check rrp and specs before ordering from my lbs.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Also do it to compile a list for the lbs to price match.

Northwind

The other week, I put some stuff in the cart but then got distracted, the email was really handy. So **** all y’all.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Loads of reasons:
    [list]
    [*]Some people get distracted by events in the real world – baby crying, show on tv starting, dinner’s ready etc.
    [/*]
    [*]Some people use baskets as a kind of bookmark for comparing products. If I was shopping for saddles I might add three or four to my basket that fit my bill and then remove the ones I decide I don’t want.
    [/*]
    [*]People change their minds, if I settled on a Charge Scoop and started checking out, I might then decide that actually that Selle Italia fits the bill better and disappear.
    [/*]
    [*]Some people balk at the point of payment – especially on expensive products.
    [/*]
    [*]Some people don’t realise they’ve added stuff to their basket.
    [/*]
    [*]Some people are window shopping (as above).
    [/*]
    [*]Some people (more than you’d think) can’t find their card or remember their shipping address so can’t check out.
    [/*]
    [*]Some people realise they can get the same product cheaper elsewhere.
    [/*][/list]
    Plus many more…

Potdog
    Free Member

I will often put that “must have” item in the basket and leave it for 24 or 48 hours to see if I really need it. You’d be surprised how often I save myself a few quid that way once the thrill of the potential spend has subsided and reality has kicked back in.

andytherocketeer

quite a few doing this sort of thing now.

tried to book a hotel, go to check out, 2 credit cards refused, then get a daily email telling you to complete the order.

booked by other means in the end, and get a daily email asking if you’re happy with how the booking process went, ffs.

and then of course a daily email after the stay asking if you how the stay went.

Jamie
    Free Member

The other week, I put some stuff in the cart but then got distracted, the email was really handy. So **** all y’all.

I like this new punchy Northwind.

timidwheeler
    Free Member

With CRC I put the item in my basket then watch it randomly change price on a daily basis. It’s a bit like playing on a fruit machine, trying to judge the best time to hit the collect button. I’ve been playing for a while now so I know all the cheats and voucher codes.
    I’m not addicted or anything. I just love the thrill.

skinnyboy
    Free Member

Ah the thrill of the basket email, I’ll check out when the prices are a bit more stable than the North Korean situation thanks! I use them for shopping lists and compare with other inlines like Wiggle and Merlin etc, that way i can see where I get the best price. simples!

andytherocketeer

I even have a spreadsheet for that comparison. Even has built in currency exchange field to make to make it easier to compare CRC/Wiggle with Bike24/Bike-Components, and a bit to let me optimise supplier. Sometimes it’s easier to pay a euro more for an item at one place to save a separate package and delivery or €10 shipping from another.

edit: and wishlists tend to let you indicate an interest in an item only, but not the specific size, colour, etc. so you have to add it all to shopping cart sometimes with no intention of buying any of it.

terrahawk
    Free Member

“review your order” emails (not just from CRC) piss me off. If I bought a newspaper from the shop I’d be surprised if the shopkeeper came running after me asking me to review my purchase.

If there was a problem I’d have a moan. Stop sending me bloody surveys.

lemonysam
    Free Member

If there was a problem I’d have a moan. Stop sending me bloody surveys.

This is precisely the point of the email. If you only receive reviews from unhappy customers then you’re pretty much screwed when it comes to people making comparisons. By asking people to write reviews you get a (slightly) more balanced spread of opinion.

I reply to them saying ‘my mystery discount voucher has expired, and so has my order’

Not surprisingly, I don’t hear back!

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

fair enough

woody74

As someone who runs a website the problem is that these reminder emails work. So once you see them working you would be shooting yourself in the foot if you switched them off. What they should be doing is limiting the number and frequency that they go out so they don’t annoy people so much. Ours are setup to go out after 1 hr and thats after someone has entered the checkout and not just added something to the shopping cart.

andytherocketeer

if I haven’t checcked out, it’s not because I forgot. It’s because I tried and your site screwed up, or I was going to later, or I am not going to at all.

lemonysam
    Free Member

if I haven’t checcked out, it’s not because I forgot. It’s because I tried and your site screwed up, or I was going to later, or I am not going to at all.

That may be true, and I’d suggest that if you shop online regularly there will occasionally be other reasons, however it’s undoubtedly not true of everyone.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it might be to reduce the number of threads from irate people complaining of late delivery who then realise they actually forgot to order it in the first place (and will never return to the thread to admit that)

andytherocketeer

and as for the daily surveys, my mistake was just binning the mails.

presumably the website code that sends out the “did your hotel booking process go OK?” after 30 mins and then a daily reminder for not filling in the first survey, doesn’t know that it took 3 credit cards from 2 nations to actually function.

I’ll tell you if the booking process was OK when I arrive and check in at the hotel and see if the room etc. was as I requested, tyvm 😉

andyrm
    Free Member

Cart abandonment reengagement tools are massively important to any e-commerce retailer. Those emails convert anything between 7 and 17% of all abandonments on average (across the e-commerce sector), which in the case of CRC and high basket value orders is a shitload of money.

Reengagement and conversion can be even higher if the email is incentivised. I know that a big action sports retailer did this not long ago using promotional products from Rockstar (so low cost, high perceived value) and the conversion rate was almost 20%.

Jamie
    Free Member

As someone who runs a website the problem is that these reminder emails work

I am genuinely surprised at that.

Everyday is a school day.

GHill

Cart abandonment reengagement tools

😆

andyrm
    Free Member
    andytherocketeer

Be funny if there’s another 7% at the other end of the 83% majority who decide never to shop there again, due to excessive emails, and a competitor gets 77K extra sales 😉

but then it’s only the visible numbers that count.

in my old company, they probably would have spend 78K on management consultants looking at ways of getting 77K extra in absolute sales.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

• Some people have work to do

andyrm
    Free Member

Be funny if there’s another 7% at the other end of the 83% majority who decide never to shop there again, due to excessive emails, and a competitor gets 77K extra sales

in my old company, they probably would have spend 78K on management consultants looking at ways of getting 77K extra in absolute sales.

I’m good friends with the guys at FSX (including their marketing director who is frighteningly on the ball with this kind of thing) and believe me, it works for them.

I also know in my own workplace that it has generated sales revenue uplift.

End of the day if you claw back a percentage of “lost” customers that’s a bonus, the unrecovered “lost” were never yours anyway, and there’s a good argument that if a customer is so angered by a reengagement email (possibly incentivised as well) that they vow “I will never shop with you again”, they were probably not a desirable target customer anyway once you factor in human cost of dealing with their emails/complaints/social media etc etc.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Fortunately customer retention is a visible number and isn’t significantly affected by retargeting emails.

Jamie
    Free Member

(possibly incentivised as well)

I think that’s the biggest thing for me, being a freeloader apparently. As the store should come from the angle that chances are the customer may have either seen the bits and pieces cheaper elsewhere, or maybe is a bit reticent to spend whatever the basket comes to.

In this case, I imagine that a cheeky email offering 5/10% off their abandoned basket would be enough to break the customers defences. I think KooBikes does this. Most don’t.

Only, rather large, issue with this course of action, is that once it’s common knowledge. People will fill their baskets, and then wait patiently for their incentivised reengagement fluid blue sky…erm…I have forgotten where I was….Oh yes! ….their money off email.

lemonysam
    Free Member

In this case, I imagine that a cheeky email offering 5/10% off their abandoned basket would be enough to break the customers defences. I think KooBikes does this. Most don’t.

For us, this simply isn’t the case. We get almost as good a response from normal emails as we do from incentivised ones and the costs involved mean it isn’t worth it.

The biggest difference for us is doing personal emails for orders over a certain value. People respond much better to having an email from an actual human being than an automatic one.

andyrm
    Free Member

The biggest difference for us is doing personal emails for orders over a certain value. People respond much better to having an email from an actual human being than an automatic one.

^^This. Again, saw the results from A/B testing FSX did using a number of different personalisation points (both sender and recipient) and preference/behavioural linked data and it was really interesting to see the uplift. This stuff fascinates me 🙂

andytherocketeer

so if I put a load of stuff in the cart. go and do something else. get the email (and ignore it), then go back to the cart as I was planning to do anyway, do I get counted as successfully reengaged?
    or do I need to click a link in the email to get counted?

buying bike stuff is something where I probably do take 2-3 evenings sorting out an order, then submit on sunday afternoon.

spose they can interpret the numbers how they like, but CRC in particular would reengage me more by sending me yet another “we’ve noticed you haven’t shopped with us for a while, here’s a €10 tempter voucher” email 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Chain Reaction Complete your order emails’ is closed to new replies.