Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Chain quick links aagghhh!!!!
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Replacing chains today at home and both had quick links on to alleviate hassle and trail repairs. Well why oh God why did I wrestle for ages to try and free them, then resort to using a chain splitter anyway!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Any ideas on easy ones or just take replacement pins?

smatkins1
    Free Member

I always use a pair of needle nose pliers to push the opposing parts of the quick link in opposite directions to undo.

scotroutes

For home use get a link tool. Makes life so much easier

poey50
    Free Member

Wippermann Connex connector chain links. Very easy without tools.

FuzzyWuzzy

I find KMC ones the easiest.

Kahurangi

I’ve always succeded with at most, some pliers. Give it all a good wiggle to get the grit and muck out from between the plates, then press the flats of the plates together, then press the links together.

hooli

Quick link pliers, best £6 you will spend.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Meh, wash the shit out with GT85 and a good jiggle first, and its easy.

tomd
    Free Member

The SRAM 10sp quick links are supposed to be 1 use only, so not really that easy to take apart if that’s what you’re using?

DezB
    Free Member

I found SRAM 10 spd ones impossible to join. They are no longer deserving of the quick links name.

christhetall
    Free Member
    bigbloke
    Free Member

1 was sram the other kmc. It’s dine now just bloody annoying.

richardthird

hooli – Member

Quick link pliers, best £6 you will spend.

This. Makes it SO easy you’ll start undoing them just for fun 😀

JAG

To make this job easier I made a special-tool. Basically a piece of wire about 6″ long, bent into a ‘C’ shape.

Link each end of the special-tool into the chain either side of the Quick-link. This leaves the Quick-link dangling without tension from the Rear Mech’

Then give the Quick-link a quick squeeze, fingers work but occasionally use Pliers, and it will pop open.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

4 quid at WIggle, maybe cheaper depending on your discount level, free shipping over £10 rather than 50 quid at Planet-X

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-master-chain-link-pliers/

cooie

Worth getting the tool, but as a quick fix I used 2 spokes, 1 through the link either side,grab and pull together.

g5604
    Free Member

Fold the quick link so it is vertical on one of the front chainring teeth, then give it a little tap with a mallet.

larkim
    Free Member

I was lambasted for this suggestion made on other forums, but I’ve got some links which pop easily with barely finger pressure, some which take a little persuading, and some which are absolute buggers to get off.

With the final category, after a 5 hour window of trying absolutely everything I knew of at the time (incl pliers, WD40 cleaning, pressing them together, mole grips) I tied a shoe lace across the rollers, formed a loop, put a spanner in the loop and twisted and twisted until the force of the lace pulling together popped the quick link.

Other methods might ultimately have worked better / faster (e.g. I’ve seen and subsequently used a technique of balancing the link on the large chain ring, and tapping the top / side of the link with a light hammer a few times – seems to work fairly reliably), but it was nice to have come up with a novelty way of doing it, and for me, in that circumstance, it worked so well that I’ve kept it in my memory banks as a potential technique for the future. And as at least one possible option roadside with few tools available, I thought it was an experience worth passing on!!

righog
    Free Member

I have a pair ( a Triar ? ) of these, they are brilliant as above sometimes just use them for the fun of it 🙂

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Pliers? Tools?

Never-ever used anything like this. Always quick job with bare fingers.

KMC, Wippermann 8-9-10 speed and SRAM 8-9 speed. Whole trick is to squeeze plates to allow pins to jump into groves on them. Splitting lings with that is a breeze.

Truth to be told, never tried it with SRAM 10 speed links but they are supposed to be single use only…

Cheers!
    I.

cakefacesmallblock

If I’m struggling with fingers, out comes the old trainer lace. It’s a very handy tool for stubborn links and taking the front panel off VW T4 transporter vans. 😉

mattyfez

The KMC ones are easy but there is a knack to it, squeeze and push togeter to pull apart, but it can be a little squirmy trying to hold a greasy chain still whilst doing it.

dannyh
    Free Member

Quick Links.

FTFY.

At least for 10 speed and above, they are just an easier way of repairing a broken chain. As for being ‘quick’ to undo – they aren’t and you need a small pair of needle nosed pliers to get them off. I have a cheapo Rolson multitool from Aldi in my bag for just such an eventuality.

righog
    Free Member

Pliers? Tools?

Never-ever used anything like this. Always quick job with bare fingers.

KMC, Wippermann 8-9-10 speed and SRAM 8-9 speed. Whole trick is to squeeze plates to allow pins to jump into groves on them. Splitting lings with that is a breeze.

Truth to be told, never tried it with SRAM 10 speed links but they are supposed to be single use only…

Cheers!
    I.

The KMC ones are easy but there is a knack to it, squeeze and push togeter to pull apart, but it can be a little squirmy trying to hold a greasy chain still whilst doing it.

Yes it’s always easy until it isn’t, then you will wish you had the pliers.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Obviously I must be some sore of The Chosen One as for last 11 years, since I started using links never had a need to use pliers for undoing them 🙂

Cheers!
    I.

larkim
    Free Member

Mine are inconsistent – same brand on same size chains, but one pair are a persistent bugger, and one pair are finger light to remove.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Yes it’s always easy until it isn’t, then you will wish you had the pliers.

Can sometimes be fiddly, can sometimes be easy, but not squeezing the plates together will make it very difficult, I do wonder how many don’t squeeze the side plates together.

nickc

I’m with you IvanMTB, never had an issue with quick links using my fingers, squeeze and push…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It’s almost always down to whether the link is clean. I mean, is it hard to fit them? If not, wear will only make it easier to remove them.

spence
    Free Member

Must be time to sell that green bike then.

br
    Free Member

Obviously I must be some sore of The Chosen One as for last 11 years, since I started using links never had a need to use pliers for undoing them

Not used SRAM 10 speed ones yet?

bigbloke
    Free Member

Ha ha brilliant replies cheers, didn’t realise it’d attract so many views.

Spencer….just stop it 😉

onehundredthidiot

Bought the park tool quick link pliers (tool tart). Makes the ones which would be easy even easier makes the difficult ones easy.

bedfordrd

I can second (third?) the Wipperman quick links – always came undone by hand. But for those SRAM, KMC ones that don’t, I have this stress-beating tool in my toolbox:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bbb-open-link-closing-link-tool-btl77/rp-prod47439

Money well spent!

Flaperon

I found SRAM 10 spd ones impossible to join. They are no longer deserving of the quick links name.

Get them halfway in, apply brake, press down on pedal until it clicks.

Sadly one use only so I use pliers and brute force to remove.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Not used SRAM 10 speed ones yet?

Nope and do not intend to, as they are designed to be single usage only.

You can split them by pliers and force, but I’m too lazy to use anything else than my fingers 🙂

Cheers!
    I.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

KMC Chains with quick link tool. Doddle.

scaredypants

scotroutes – Member
    For home use get a link tool

and for away use, get a bit of bent coathangerwire (check it’ll fit through the links) or even strongish cord that you can twizzle round a tyre lever or similar

spooky_b329

9spd Sram links…I don’t press the side plate or anything, finger and thumb on the edge of each side plate and just squeeze everything towards the middle whilst jiggling, even dirty links will open easily.

robhughes
    Free Member

^ That.Just a gentle squeeze and slide and there off.
    No tools required at all.
    Your all mad.. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Chain quick links aagghhh!!!!’ is closed to new replies.