Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Chain problems
  • tinribz
    Free Member

Out today and the chain went crunch. One of the links has bent outwards and come away on one side. It wouldn’t go through the rear mech but managed (barely) to get back cranking it half a turn at a time (tired right leg).

The links near it are obviously OK so thinking just remove the bad and rejoin.

Question, the others seem stiff to remove with a chain tool, am I just being weak wristed or is the whole idea a bad one and should I just get a new chain?

Oggles
    Free Member

If it’s a fairly new chain just rejoin it or put a powerlink in. You do need a fair amount of grunt to get some joining pins out so just keep trying! Bear in mind if it is a well worn chain and you decide to replace it you will more than likely need a new cassette.

EDIT: I wouldn’t bother trying to rejoin it with a pin that is already in there. The same thing will probably happen again!! That’s a ‘get you home’ trick only in my experience.

XC_PK
    Free Member

Just stick in a power link if it is relatively new chain, IIRC they cost 99p. Or get your old chain ‘measured’ and see if it needs replacing anyway.

elaineanne
    Free Member

that happened to a mate of mine the other day ! it bent . this can happen if you dont oil your chain regularly. if you wash the bike and leave it to dry then you get a rusty chain within a few days, then links can dry and seize up then get bent. so every time you wash the bike (Always oil afterwards and obviously oil before you set off… dont think our mate oiled his chain properly !! it was a a newish chain too !

tinribz
    Free Member

Thanks,

Brute force wins the day, It is not that old and I do always oil before and after.

I’ve used a standard link pin to fix it for now.

Will have to drop in to the LBS for a proper one then else it sounds like I’ll probably get the same problem again.

james
    Free Member

“You do need a fair amount of grunt to get some joining pins out so just keep trying!”
    If you are using a mutlitool one, they’re usually too short to provide a decent amount of leverage, which will make it quite difficult to do. Either try harder or use an independant chain tool. I’ve got a topeak one for £6-7 (that the handle unscrews and can use as extra leverage when using allen keys on a multitool

“Or get your old chain ‘measured’ and see if it needs replacing anyway.”
    Or buy a chain measuring tool for £5-10 and do it your self

“it bent . this can happen if you dont oil your chain regularly. if you wash the bike and leave it to dry then you get a rusty chain within a few days, then links can dry and seize up then get bent. so every time you wash the bike (Always oil afterwards and obviously oil before you set off… dont think our mate oiled his chain properly !! it was a a newish chain too !”
    Your chain will wear out quicker if you don’t oil your chain, or leave to dry/rust after washing. The chain gets weaker and bends
    If its a new chain its much more likely it just had a weak link, or you happened to be putting power down and you(or the bike) decided to change (a few) gear(s) at the time

If its new(ish) definetly stick a powerlink in
    Edinburgh bicycle co-op were the cheapest last time I bought a load in. They’ve got puncture repair kits for £1 too which I bought a few of and other bits and bobs I could do with to get it over £20 (to get free postage)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Chain problems’ is closed to new replies.