Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • chain lube – what's flavour of the day
  • Bimbler
    Free Member

Tried loads, nothing I’ve used works as well as Purple Extreme

Mister-P
    Free Member

Another White Lighning user here but I find the Wet Ride gives a silent drivetrain and lovely shifting.

Northwind

White Lightning Epic Ride, or Putoline Epic Faff. The former if I’m feeling lazy, the latter if I want the best results.

(the Putoline involves completely cleaning hte chain, then putting the can of wax on the stove til it melts, soaking the chain in it, taking it out, letting it cool, etc. it could not possibly be more faffy. But it works better than anything else I’ve used, and not by a small amount)

peterich
    Free Member

really love the weldtite tf2 Teflon – cheap works great and leaves no residue after a good clean

jonba
    Free Member

Chainsaw oil for commuting and MTB. Thinned it back with white spirit to make it easier to apply and enable less to be put on. I Normally end up cleaning the bike each ride and it needs relubing so not had issues with build up.

White lightning on the road bike. Less water from riding or washing so buildup an issue.

z1ppy

Finish line wet for me. I was getting annoyed at the price for such a small bottle, till I noticed my collection of empty bottle (hey I hoard)… 6 over 10 years. The idea of buying the gallon bottle and decanting it was throw out the window.

dreednya

Squirt on the mtbs for me. Crisp changing and long drivetrain life 🙂

HughStew

3 in 1 for me too. Clean bike when it gets dirty, & re-lube. Cheap and never had a problem. Is bike specific lube really that much better?

edlong
    Free Member

Has Muc-Off Wet Lube changed recently?

I never rated it at all and recall similar unimpressedness from others, but of late I’ve seen a few recommendations here and there…

pymwymis
    Free Member

Finish line dry lube here. It’s ok but mate of mine uses spray on white lithium grease simply cos he’s got some and its waaaay cheap. Applies through the straw and it sort of sets on the chain. It’s kind of thick and seems to be ideal for wet weather but not knowing much about lubes I’m frit of using it myself just in case it damages the chain – is there such a thing as a lube which causes damage ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

(the Putoline involves completely cleaning hte chain, then putting the can of wax on the stove til it melts, soaking the chain in it, taking it out, letting it cool, etc. it could not possibly be more faffy. But it works better than anything else I’ve used, and not by a small amount)

You can apparently do it in a deep fat fryer to reduce faffage. And you don’t need to meticulously clean the chain either. But yea, it’s a faff.

Read on a roadie forum that loads are using a 1:3 mix of engine oil and odourless spirits (which I think is Ammerican for white spirit?), the latter lets it seep into the chain, then evaporates. Guess it probably works better on californian roads away from mud and water.

IME some of the expensive lubes are pretty good, muck-off C3 wet is quite long lasting compared to generic wet lube, not tried the dry or the £16/bottle dry though! Anyone tried Fenwicks stealth?

I’m frit of using it myself just in case it damages the chain – is there such a thing as a lube which causes damage ?

WD-40 (or GT85, or TF2 spray), because they’re not lubricants, the clues in the name, Water Dispersant! WD-40 was actualy developed to help protect the fuel tanks on nuclear missiles from corrosion which were made of such thin metal they had to be kept pressurised to avoid deforming!

They make good cleaners, but rubbish lubes.

discoduck
    Free Member

Northwind, the old Moto-X chain prep, ive done that before, used to put it in a parrafin wax prep in a pan on a stove and warm it up, the ammount of crud that vame out of the links on a seemingly clean chain was unbeleivable,

Ive had a can of Putoline Moto-X Chain lube thats about a foot long for about 10 Years, i oil up my sons BMX and his MTB once a year and it Never ever shows signs of rust !
    Ive thought about applying this to my SC Butchers chain as its a bit noisy,

chakaping
    Free Member

Has Muc-Off Wet Lube changed recently?

They must have changed it, the bottle I had was ridiculously sticky. Way worse than Finish Line Green.

lerk
    Free Member

Two chains in rotation…
    Remove from bike and drop in jar of petrol, shake for a minute and leave to stand whilst I set up camp stove and get my pan of EP2 grease and GL320 gearbox oil warmed up.
    Remove chain from petrol and hang over bucket whilst wiping down
    Using a hook through both ends of the chain, drop in pan of now bubbling castrol broth.
    Decant now dirty petrol into second jar through filter.
    Back to the pan – lift one end of chain out of broth, then ‘roll’ the chain through the mixture several times. Allow thickest to run off then hang again over bucket whilst you tidy away pan, stove and petrol.
    Wipe excess off chain with oily rag and store in plastic bag until next chain requires lube (usually 5-15hrs depending on conditions and washing regime*)

*I once heard someone mention that their bike got wet occasionally when no river crossings or puddles were ridden through… Although mine never have!

matther01
    Free Member

Squirt rain or shine

jonba
    Free Member

Read on a roadie forum that loads are using a 1:3 mix of engine oil and odourless spirits (which I think is Ammerican for white spirit?), the latter lets it seep into the chain, then evaporates.

Actually I bet that is a mistake. I would guess that odourless spirits is a bastardisation of de-aromitised white spirit. Basically white spirit is a fraction of oil (off the top of my head C6-C10). Anyway part of that is going to be benzene, toluene and other derivatives. These are “aromatics” as they were named historically and typically smell (nice IMO?). They are also not particularly nice and generally thought to cause cancer. So you can remove them, or “de-aromatise” the white spirit.

I have no idea where the average consumer would buy that from but I have used Exxsol D40 professionally in the past.

The de-aromatised stuff would be safer but I wouldn’t worry about it if you are only lubing your chain.

zelak999
    Free Member

Nice one OP, popular thread!!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Normally I’d use something like GT85 in summer and finish line wet lube in the wet.
    But as an experiment I’ve been using white lighting epic ride on one bike and clean ride on another. The clean ride works pretty well, but the epic ride’s been absolutely hopeless. Maybe I’ve a bad batch of it missing something important, like lubricant. If I pissed on the chain it would last longer than this stuff.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘chain lube – what's flavour of the day’ is closed to new replies.