Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Chain lube (again) but possible new option…
  • dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Had enough of wet/dry/ceramic lube all coming off my chain v quickly despite re-application and paying £6 for a little bottle.

So whilst having q-time in the garage I spied my Stihl synthetic chainsaw chain lube and came up with a plan – I have taken the 29er chain off, cleaned it and put it in the saw oil to have a good soak overnight. Tomorrow will clean off excess and go out down muddiest, wettest track (basically everywhere in S Cotswolds), then get home wash off bike as usual and leave it overnight to see if any oil is left i.e. will the links go rusty?

If it works then its about £8 a litre!

Will update with progress… (the exciting life of an early 40s man)

mattsccm
    Free Member

At this time if year I do the same but am shocked that you see £8 a litre as good. Find the cheapest supermarket engine oil. It’s a bit thinner but works as well. I use EP 90 gear oil as that’s thick and a 5l tub is under a tenner from the oil refinery place in the woods by me.* I chuck into thee tub any dregs of oil I have. You could get enough scrounging all the empty bottles from your local garage. Rub 2 chains and one is dripping while you ride the other.
    * in Bream, just upnthe road from Dowies in the FoD.

martymac

putoline chain wax.
    i used to use ep90, for years and years, struggled to get more than 1k miles out of a chain/cassette.
    bought a tin of putoline wax when i bought my cx bike, its on 1.1k and doesnt show any visible signs of wear.
    its a faff to do, but in a different league.

TimCotic
    Free Member

So how do you get yer chain clean & dry for 1st application?

martymac

scrub any excess crud off, make sure there’s no water on it, then dip in hot wax for 10 minutes, then allow to drip dry/cool down.
    if you get an excess of wax on the chain, dip it for longer than 10 minutes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Chain lube (again) but possible new option…’ is closed to new replies.