• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jeb.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Chain Lube….. Again
  • squoglybob
    Free Member

I am posting this in an attempt to gain some education from the Collective re LUBE, of the chain fettling variety.

Previously i’ve used Finish Line 20 years or so ago as back then it was that or GT85 or WD40 and i know the two latter arent lubes. 6 or so years ago i used SQUIRT and went straight on to R’n’R Blue.
    Tried Purple Extreme then went back to R’n’R,
    Tried that UBS stuff? went back to R’n’R, you can see where this is going

As it is no longer available and after reading on here i’ve used SHIMANO Wet Lube. Well after only a 17 mile dry ride the oil on the chain attracted plenty of dust which went black then dried out completely. i do this ride at least 3 times a week so its a good tester for what works where. Admittedly i’m using wet lube in the dry i apply it sparingly with the bike upside down dropping it on the rollers as it rolls over the rear jockey wheel. i’m a bit anal about application, i leave it in the garage and then before a ride i wipe the excess off thoroughly.

So the problem is the chain gets sticky black gunk on it “Gummy” is the best word to describe it. its on the front ring on and in the chain and caked all over the jockey wheels. what is this stuff.

I’ve just ordered Muc-Off ceramic in both Wet & Dry as i try and find a replacement for R’nR but its not easy.

No doubt when the wet weather comes it will help keep the gummy crud wetter and help with lubing but as it stands its dry and graunchy.

So i’ve not used the SHIMANO one any use at all, in fact its very much like the All In One can that you use on machinary sold in DIY Stores. I’ve even tried that….. which went gummy.

The best i’ve tried so far is ATF fluid, prob not enviro friendly but its the ONLY oil that was available at that time.

Northwind

Still putoline. Yes it turns your chain black, the difference is it’s supposed to.

squoglybob
    Free Member

Which one the chain wax ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    martymac

this is the one you want, its a bit of a faff to do, but it lasts for flippin ages, and so will your chain.
    remove chain, place into molten wax, leave for 15 mins to penetrate thotoughly, carefully remove chain to avoid dripping molten wax all over kitchen, allow to drip dry/cool down, replace chain on bike.

top tip, do it when the wife is out so she doesnt see/moan about it.
    i, personally wouldnt use a gas stove, this stuff is mostly paraffin, which is flammable.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Chainsaw oil.

I must be odd, I really don’t understand the STW obsession with the RNR Blue stuff. It was the worst lube i’ve used.

Wally

Another Putoline chain wax fan. Worth the faff. One purchase will last a lifetime.

prezet
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with Muc-Off Dry Ceramic. Lasts about 10 minutes. Tried it on the commuter bike over summer (only 7 miles each way) and needed reapplying almost every day.

I’m using the Wet Ceramic at the moment and it seems to hold up for longer – but makes a bit of a mess of the drive train, sticky black lube everywhere. And that’s after a full degrease clean, dry and apply.

rickmeister

Silicone spray from a can. No sticky mess and repels water…

smiffy

It sounds like it’s not what you are using but how much.

enfht
    Free Member

You can still buy the enormous bottles of Rock N Roll Extreme from US sellers on eBay for under £18 each… I’ve recently bought 4 big bottles, in two goes, and only paid a few extra quid for postage so I should have enough to tide me over until a similar product eventually hits the shelves.

So I’d recommend Rock N Roll Extreme 😛

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Putoline, in a fryer for convenience!

There is an element of faffage, but that’s repayed by not having to lube the chain for months at a time. A tin will likely last a lifetime.

iainc

you didn’t mention why you swopped straight away from Squirt ? I fing it ideal in dryish weather and I then switch over to Prolink Progold Extreme when it gets wet and muddy.

For really manky winter night rides I like Muc Off C3 Ceramic wet, but only on the basis that I’ll be washing the bike post ride and running the chain through a cleaner to remove the muddy crud. If it gets left it becomes a gungy mess

rocketman
    Free Member

Wippermann = no lube required, just the occasional polish

squoglybob
    Free Member

I tried getting the Rock n Roll from the US but I can’t get it shipped, eBay is the way forward then?

jeb

Chain l oil.

End of disscusion.

Check their website out.
    -can be a bit tricky to find. But so brillant. Last ages.

Chain L. Com

theflatboy
    Free Member

Tempted to give that Chain L stuff a go, sounds pretty promising…

schmiken

Chain-L – Mike’s Bikes does it.

jeb

Chain L oil. Its brilliant. Even the Kardashians use it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Chain Lube….. Again’ is closed to new replies.