Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Chain length – SLX shadow plus mech.
  • pembo6
    Free Member

Tomorrow I will be installing up my new 1×10 setup on a new dual suspension bike.

Narrow wide chainring and shadow + rear mech.

Does the clutch mech just use the same chain length as normal? Or should I make it longer coz the clutch will keep it tight anyway?

I was planning on measuring based on big rear cog to front ring, plus 4 links. With the rear shock fully compressed.

Do I a need to make any special allowances for the clutch mech?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

booktownman
    Free Member

I put the same length on mine as previous non-clutch, haven’t had any issues and haven’t dropped the chain once even without NW – except when I forgot to turn the clutch back on after removing the wheel!

warpcow
    Free Member

+4 links sounds a lot. I’ve never had any trouble with +2 (big-big, shock compressed, etc), which seems to be the standard recommendation.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

The instructions that came with my One Up 40 t cog said add 4 links but I expect that’s specific to the size of that cog.

When I was running a standard cassette the usual plus 2 links worked fine.

warpcow
    Free Member

Aah, sorry. Assumed a standard cassette.

pembo6
    Free Member

Everything I’ve ever read says +4 for single ring setup.
    +2 is for double/triple setup.
    I think the reasoning is that with a single ring setup, u will use the big/big combination very often (coz u only have one front ring), and the extra links stop the rear mech getting too tight.
    However in a double or triple setup, u wont use the big/big combination as often. (Cross chaining).

But the general consensus seems that I don’t need to do anything different with the shadow+ mech. Just treat it the same as normal rear mech.

Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Chain length – SLX shadow plus mech.’ is closed to new replies.