Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Chain length
  • shindiggy
    Free Member

Hi people

I have always fitted my new chain by wrapping the chain around the largest front & rear ring, cut the chain to size and then fit through the derailleur. I always get a lot of chain clatter and I feel the chain is too long, I mean I would never be at the opposite extremes of each gear range.

How do you people choose the correct chain length, could I get away with measuring the middle chain ring to largest cassette (32 + 32) and would this allow me to still use the largest chain ring and the smallest rings (44 + 11/12,13) as the number of teeth is still fewer.

Cheers

specializedneeds

Just take some links out (one pair at a time) if you’re not happy. Check you can still use all the gear combo’s you actually use without it locking up (check by hand cranking first, don’t ride until you are sure the chain isn’t too short or you’ll snap the chain / break the mech). Like you say you don’t use all the combo’s so why have a chain (or cage length for that matter) that allows you too? Unless you are prone to accidentally finding yourself in silly combo’s when tired etc. I swapped to a medium cage mech too and that helped.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

On my 9ps 2 ring setup bike (32,22), I have a short derailler and run the chain a little too short for 32/32. This reduced most of the chain clatter and dropping. But you have to remember to switch to the granny ring earlier on climbs to avoid trouble.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Put it on the small/small combo and set the length of the chain so it just clears the derailleur pulleys.

Double check the length by putting it into the big/big combo and the derailleur should be at a 45 deg angle.

Usually it’s 3 or 4 links you take out (but not always). If in doubt, take out fewer than you think as it’s easy to take out another one but impossible to add one.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

it’s easy to take out another one but impossible to add one

Fiddly, but not impossible, as long as you don’t push the pins out (non Shimano only). Even then you can rejoin with a joining pin.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

True. It’s not impossible but certainly desirable not to have to lengthen it again. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Chain length’ is closed to new replies.