• This topic has 9 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Yak.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • chain length?
  • sammysquid
    Free Member

so I have a stumpy from 2011 that I recently got my hands on, now I had an issue with the cranks and got a set from a nice person on here. I have fitted them and all is well but I think my chain seems too long?
    When on the small cog front and rear it looks like the mech is as far back as poss but that there is still a lot of slack. Is there a way to work out how many links my chain should have? and if this one has just stretched or if the changing of the cranks has upset things?

JoeG
    Free Member

Is there a way to work out how many links my chain should have?

Chain on big cog, big chainring; add 2 inches (2 inner links and 2 outer links).

Poopscoop

How many teeth on new cranks as opposed to old?

But…

Small ring front and back is a no,no mate. Same as big front big back.

Small – small WILL will make chain slack and the mech be full on back.

argoose
    Free Member

Turn bike upside down, cycle chain to smallest cog/chain ring . chain should just run clear of the jockey wheels. If it runs on top of jockey wheels it is too long

sammysquid
    Free Member

wonderful! appreciate that!
    Is it massively a problem for short to short? normally when I’m clumsy and climbing

sammysquid
    Free Member

Chain on big cog, big chainring; add 2 inches (2 inner links and 2 outer links).
    sorry being thick…. can you make that more idiot proof?

Poopscoop

Hi mate,
    YouTube will make the expansion much clearer. Lots of guides on there but… chain length might be fine. Have you changed the gearing ratio by changing to larger/smaller chain rings?

Yak

If it’s a full suss, let the air out of the shock and compress it, then do as JoeG said. Remember to add the 2 full links without it running through the rear mech.

sammysquid
    Free Member

oh ok that makes more sense…. so I run cog to cog and ignore mech and then run it through the mech with the 2″ on. thank you.
    was being stupid for a moment there.
    why do I need to let all the air of of the shock out of interest?

Yak

There is likely to be a bit of chain growth in the compressed position so you are measuring for the longest position.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘chain length?’ is closed to new replies.