Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Chain Lengths and removed links???
  • carlos
    Free Member

I think I know the answer to this but I'm going to ask anyway as it's always good to hear other peoples views.

The chain on my road bike snapped the other night whilst 10 mile from home, fortunatly my mate hadn't been drinking so came and picked me up in the car. The thing is unlike my MTB chain it doesn't have a quick link, it's not Sram, today I've removed the minimum number of links so that I can re-join the chain and my question is (finally) will it be OK or am I better to get another chain??

On MTB I know people who have run with quick links for ages instead of buying a new chain.

Cheers
    Carl

Suggsey
    Free Member

Same rules for MTB lengths as road chains as far as I know wrap the cahin round big rear cog on cassette and large front chain ring (but not run through mech) and add two whole links to the length. This will give you the ideal length that your rear mech can handle and you still get all the gears. Aleways carry a SRAM power link or Taya link if you are using a KMC chain as SRAM pins are too short for KMC chains (on the 9 speed chains as I found from experience).

carlos
    Free Member

Thanks Suggsey, Thats what I was expecting to hear about calculating the length so all sorted there. The road bike has a KMC Z-51 so looks like I best get a couple of Taya link's then just in case.

Cheers
    Carl

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Chain Lengths and removed links???’ is closed to new replies.