Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Chain keeps coming off
  • Noworries
    Free Member

Evening all,

Just looking for some advice. The chain keeps coming off my Meta 4x and I cant find a chain device that will actually fit properly. Is there any benefit from swapping to a different rear mech, as the spring on my current one has never been that strong.

Thanks in advance for any help 🙂

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

shorten the chain and it should be ok then

Noworries
    Free Member

thanks, I'll do that this morning 🙂

bent_udder
    Free Member

Might be worth looking at a couple of things, especially if you are running a single ring up front.

Most important is to check that there is enough chain to allow *full* compression of the suspension in the biggest sprocket. Take the air out of the rear shock to check this. If the chain is too short, landing a big 'un will snap the chain, causing all kinds of hilarity.

Secondly, what sort of rear mech are you using? MTB, or road? Long, medium, or short cage?

Thirdly, check your chainline; if the single ring is on the outside of the cranks (in the big ring, instead of middle ring position) then that might explain the chain coming off.

Finally, how old is the drivetrain? Measure the chain and see if 24 links = 12". If not, then you might want to consider getting a shop to check it, or replacing the cassette and chain – generally you can get away without replacing the chainring onf a single ring set up a bit longer than if running a dual or triple at the front, but this will accelerate the wear of the new cassette and chain if the chaingring is very worn.

HTH

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Chain keeps coming off’ is closed to new replies.