Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Chain jumping, help/advice please
  • stcolin
    Free Member

Hi all,

I recently had issues with the chain jumping off the front chainring (big ring on my SLX M665 double). I replaced the chainring as it was pretty worn, however the problem is still there – though not as bad. The chain itself is 2 years old – XTR – and the cassette not quite a year old. I’m trying to rule out other issues before I buy a nice chain. Could it be something else?

Cheers

Col

wwaswas

measure the chain for wear.

chances are if the ring was knackered then the chain is too.

Edric64
    Free Member

Depending on use thats a very old chain .I would replace the chain and cassette before you wear out your new chainring as well .

stcolin
    Free Member

Use wise, 2-3 week on average through-out the year at an average of about 10 miles per cycle.

Thanks for the advice.

jekkyl

you’re gonna have to buy a new cassette and chain at some point in the future anyway, buy them and stick em on and if it still jumps you can rule that out, chances are it won’t. 2 years on one chain is long time if you use it twice a week.

gasyz
    Free Member

I had the same prob once,turned out to be a slight bend on the crank arm,where the chain ring bolts on.Maybe worth spining the crank slowly and see if theres a buckle.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Chain jumping, help/advice please’ is closed to new replies.