Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Chain has worn through rear mech rear plate . Why ?
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

hi , have gone to change my jockey wheels as they are shot. Took mech off bike , took out jockey wheels and noticed that the rear plate has worn through to the point where there is now a crack in the metal.

This is I guess, chain line related . What am I doing wrong?

Has always shifted great , no discernible noise at all.

I have a one up components shifter plate to aid shifting, a hope extender and am running 1 by ten with a spacer on the driveside .

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ll give you a clue, it’s the majority of your first sentence

grenosteve
    Free Member

^^^^ he’s not wrong!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Doh! Thanks

globalti
    Free Member

Not just chain wear but it looks as if accumulated mud has worn the plate as well.

coatesy
    Free Member

XT clutch type by any chance? Has the jockey wheel shifted sideways on it’s bearing?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Slx clutch mech. I clean the bike after every ride with a hose in the garden , so any mud damage is caused during ride , if you see what I mean.

Have fitted new jockey wheels and it shifts fine so I’ll live with it until 11 speed comes out

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

It will shift fine as the lower jockey is the tension jockey, where its worn the cage. The upper one affects shifting. Lower slx is just a bush and no bearing and is worth regulary strip and grease or change to a sealed lower jockey wheel.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Other possibility is bent mech hanger or bent mech cage, which might then have caused both jockey and cage destruction.

Are these floating jockeys also? They have sideways movement supposedly for better shifting but perhaps that can wear too much and cause this. Or is it the upper that’s usually floating?

Anyway, I use CNC ceramic bearing jockeys (originally KCNC, but now trying Uberbike’s version as they’re cheaper), which have no float but they shift just fine. They are also well vented and shift crud, plus the ceramic bearing lasts a lot longer and likewise the metal jockey doesn’t turn into throwing stars.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Chain has worn through rear mech rear plate . Why ?’ is closed to new replies.