Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Chain guides…. why so expensive? (whiuch one?)
  • alpin
    Free Member

looking for chain guide for the GF’s new ride and am surprised at the cost. can understnd why Superstar have sold out.

any recommendations for a high direct mount or possibly a ISCG05 mount that is reasonably priced?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

The One Up one is good and pretty cheap if you just need a top guide.

Blackspire also recently had a clear out of the Der Guide, you might be able to find some of those around still, cost me about 25 quid.

vincienup
    Free Member

What gearing?

For a single then a straightforward top guide is probably enough and should be cheap. If you are looking at something integrating top and bottom guides with tensioning and bash (taco) then you need to take account of environment too. It’s the lower guide area where these things generally start getting expensive, and mostly I think due to a combo of low volume manufacture, RandD which could be surprisingly involved and of course good old fashioned profit on top.

I tend to ride in the Peaks mostly so lots of grinding paste – If I was running a double then I’d be looking at something like the Blackspire Twinty 2x. The trick is in the lower guide tensioner. The slide is less draggy than a bearing and idler type arrangement and the polymer in the slide is supposedly developed for life in exactly this sort of gritty muddy slop.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Alpine think I have an ISCG 05 here I could sell….

Stevelol
    Free Member

I agree they’re a rip off.

I like the MRP guides I’ve bought my last two AMG guides second hand for around £30.

barrykellett
    Free Member

I have a one up high direct mount guide I purchased a few weeks ago for my race bike, raced once, changed frames now and it’s not compatible… Step this way Sir

DrP

It’s the kind of thing you only buy once, and won’t wear out…
    Therefore, I kind of take the approach of £30 or £50..it’ll be fit and forget….

Of course, I ended up getting the Paul’s components one – I think it’s the nicest looking, but yes, is the priciest…

Basically, get the one you think looks and functions best..you’ll soon forget the cost!

DrP

whatnobeer
    Free Member

It’s the kind of thing you only buy once, and won’t wear out…

Unless they break. I’m on my 3rd one on my DH bike in the 3 years I’ve had it. Ironically, the home made zip tie and ducktape based bottom guide lasted almost as long as the E13 one I had.

alpin
    Free Member

@ Vince, oneby with 32 ring.
    Riding is predominantly in the alps (live in Bavaria). Lots of rough, chattery trails with the odd bike park.

Barry, have sent you a PM….

Thanks for the offer willy, but can’t be arsed taking the cranks off.

munrobiker
    Free Member

They are too expensive, but cheap ones like the Superstar one are awful. Suck it up and scratch around for some discount codes to buy the e13 top guide.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Chain guides…. why so expensive? (whiuch one?)’ is closed to new replies.