Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chain guide recommendations
  • matther01
    Free Member

Seem to be getting quite a few dropped chains running 1×10, clutch and either 40 or 42 rear cog (different bikes).

Looking for an ISCG05 type but no idea whether to go full or just top guide.

Can anyone give me some recommendations please and what terrain you ride?

Cheers

jam-bo

I did run an e13 xcx but then I bought a race face thick-thin chainring.

matther01
    Free Member

Should have said I’m also running NW rings.

jam-bo

No idea then. Chain too slack?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

On the hardtail I run 1×10 with a NW ring and use a n-gear jumpstop on the inside to stop any drops down towards the BB.

On the FS bike I also run a 1×10+NW ring but I use a lightweight bash (BBG) and a Hope ISCG guide on the inside.

I’ve never dropped a chain on either bike but the additional security of the guides and bash mean it’s very unlikely that it’ll throw the chain, even to the extent that I often run my rear mechs on non-clutch mode, without any drops.

davosaurusrex

I bought a Race Face NW and a clutch mech. Then went to BPW. Then bought an E13 xcx.

matther01
    Free Member

It’s the rocky stuff in Wales that seems to be my issue too davosaurusrex.

mirage

Dave that was quick.

I have a couple of the top and bottom guides from superstar and have been good so far. Cheap and cheerful but nothing to go wrong

davosaurusrex

No it wasn’t, your mum said it was “fine”.

svalgis
    Free Member

I often run my rear mechs on non-clutch mode

But why?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

sometimes I just forget to switch it on, sometimes because the shifting is lighter with it off but mostly because it doesn’t throw the chain anyway when it’s off so it’s not important.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chain guide recommendations’ is closed to new replies.