Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chain Guide for a Nomad – advice required
  • puffnutts
    Free Member

I have a Nomad which is a couple of years old and has no ISCG mounts.
    Nomad and I are off to do the Mega this summer and we think a chainguide would be a good idea.
    Never used one before.
    Think i am going to run two chainrings up front 34 or 36/22.
    So i need some sort of ‘dualie’ chainguide thing wih no ISCG mounts – I think. This means the guide mounts in place of one of the EBB spacers – is that right? What stops it twisting? Are there some designs of chainguide which will not work with some pivot locations/f mechs?
    Basicly anyone with the above set up can recommend something which works please? I have looked on CRC and there are so many options I had a nose bleed thinking about it.
    Advice would be great ta.

IWH
    Free Member

Get yourself a ‘Dualrailleur guide’ from a company called Wicked Racin’ – they used to be imported into the UK by Freeborne but I’m not sure if they ever really did much with it.

It’s a dual ring chain guide that’s built around a front mech. And it works. Brilliantly. If you can’t get one in the UK let me know and I’ll sort you one out from Sea Otter next week.

giantjason
    Free Member

i am just after doing a similar setup on my Moment with one of theseChain Guides

it takes a bit of setting up but seems to do the trick and works well with my dual setup.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

E13 DRS will do the job, or Blackspire Stinger + bashring if you’re on a budget.

Only friction stops the thing twisting if you ****t it hard (so do the BB cup up tight!), but the mega, whilst rocky doesn’t have a lot of steppy stuff that you’ll be likely to clout the back plate on. The E13 bash is big enough anyway that its pretty hard work to hit the guide itself.

singlespeedstu

I just use a bash guard and Blackspire Stinger on my sh1ting dog.

Works great and dead cheap.

matthew_h
    Free Member

How noisy is the Stinger?

puffnutts
    Free Member

thanks for clearing that all up

IWH – v kind offer – I will do some research on that device

giantjason – that looks okay, I have a bash guard already. I guess the front mech looks after the chain at the top of the ring and this roller thing tensions it at the bottom. So the ‘ISCG OLD’ bit means it will work with just a BB and i don’t need ISCG mounts? Sorry if i am being thick.

singlespeedstu

The stinger’s silent.

richc
    Free Member

I have a DRS on one bike and a stinger on the other, and the stinger is quieter, cheaper and lighter.

The Stinger E looks interesting/good as well if you ISCG tabs and use a E-type front mech

matthew_h
    Free Member

Excellent, cheers. Looks like my chain guide choice is sorted.

giantjason
    Free Member

yes, it just works with the BB and no need for the ISCG mounts. you take off your BB and a spacer and replace this with the chain guide

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chain Guide for a Nomad – advice required’ is closed to new replies.