• This topic has 81 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Chain food you dislike
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Following on from ‘other thread – what chain food can you not bear?

For me – Subway. Bloody awful stuff, all tastes the same and the smell coming from the outlets make me feel sick.

kayla1
    Free Member

All of it- McDs, Burger King, Subway, blah, blah, blah. It can all get in the **** sea.

DezB
    Free Member

With you on Subway. Shops stink so bad!

McDonalds – because
    1/ I always forget how bad it is, until the next time
    2/ their customers don’t know how to use BINS.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I love Subway, but I don’t go very often.

I don’t mind a McD’s either, I have a Happy Meal – couple of times a year.

I don’t like the Pizza places, big slabs of under-cooked dough with greasy cheese blasted into them. Dominos, Pizza Hut they all seem the same to me.

frankconway

I’m with kayla on this – with one small exception; I’m partial to a Gregg’s ‘cornish pasty’ – but only very occasionally and, yes, i know they’re not made in Cornwall 😉
    As for the west cornwall pasty company – no thanks.

PePPeR

When I saw the thread title my immediate thought was exactly the same as the OP’s post.

Subway food all tastes the same and smells awful.

ton

I can eat pretty much anything……..but I never eat subway. just the smell of the sweet breads/sauces makes me feel a bit ill.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Nando’s, cheeky or otherwise. It’s overpriced chicken and chips, I’ve never understood the attraction.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pizza hut and Dominos.

Super expensive for what is essentially a peasant food, and super shite.

An XL bacon double cheese burger meal, whilst hungover, on the other hand…

vinnyeh

5****Guys.

A foul tasting burger big enough to feed a family of 4 wrapped in some foil which turns the whole thing into a homogenised pile of goo in about 30 seconds. 120 flavours of bottomless drinks all tasting the same . Bags overflowing with (half decent) chips.

And people hit on Mcdonalds for their vision of supersized!

There’s far better homegrown burger outfits than this, both independent and chain.

deadkenny
    Free Member

frankconway – Member
    Gregg’s ‘cornish pasty’ – but only very occasionally and, yes, i know they’re not made in Cornwall
    As for the west cornwall pasty company – no thanks.

Same with Ginsters. Nothing about what they produce is Cornish.

Pretty much most chain stuff is garbage. Even beer. Mass produced so loses the quality touch and flavour is aimed at appealing to the masses, so for food it’s greasy, sugary and salty and beer is inoffensive, bland and weak.

Tried Five Guys once. Good god, overpriced, overhyped junk.

We did nandos elsewhere, but another is Wagamama. Yeah, what I really want is to be shoved on a communal table with annoying people I don’t know and chaotic service.

If I really have no option and for some reason crave a burger, and options are MuckyD or Burger King, I’ll go with the latter, but I’ll feel sick later.

Though I’m okay with Pizza Express.

aP
    Free Member

I go to MaccyD maybe 3 times a year for a dirty breakfast if we’re off somewhere early.
    I don’t really go to any other chain “restaurants” – maybe Pret for a sandwich once a quarter, does Jacob the Angel count?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Vinnyeh, You must have been to a very different 5 guys to me. Agree on the over priced and under flavored but the portion size was miniscule. Like a McDonald’s cheese burger and small fries without the flavour for a small mortgage.

prawny

Mister P – Member
    Nando’s, cheeky or otherwise. It’s overpriced chicken and chips, I’ve never understood the attraction.

This, plus any of the other ‘premium’ chain places. Although the picture of five guys that vinny paints sounds much better than I thought, might have to check it out.

All of the normal places, bring it on.

I think I’d better get my cholesterol tested.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Subway here too..only ever had one and that was one too many ..
    Love Maccy D’s & KFC though

brassneck

Pizza Hut is great with kids, NUS discount brings it under a tenner a head for us – it’s not far off an adult McD meal cost actually, I’d rather have the pizza. Don’t mind Subway either but being veggie I don’t think my opinion actually counts.

Wagamama is a funny one – in Salisbury, the Wagamama is rammed, two doors down a rather good private Thai restaurant completely empty.

P-Jay
    Free Member

RE: Five Guys,

I’ve been once, as I think anyone who still maintains a strong relationship between earning money, and spending money, will only ever do.

The burger was lovely, maybe 10% better than Burger King, which for me is about 50% better than McD’s (and about 50% worse than Llandgela TC which is the real King of the Burger for me). I ordered ‘small’ chips and was given 2 of those little packets like a McDs would call a medium, but they filled the rest of the bag with them too – they were also nice, too much salt for me but they were also a decent cut above the usual McDs stuff.

In short, it was the best Fast Food, Takeaway Burger I’d ever had, but still not as nice as some ‘real’ restaurant places and not a patch on Llandegla (possibly improved by the fact I’m usually in a great mood and starving when I get there). I still can’t believe the money they want though, £35 for a couple of cheese burgers and chips in a paper bag with two cardboard cups of pop. I hate the decor too – all white tiles and red bunting – it’s drab and old-fashioned rather than ‘retro’.

whattiler
    Free Member

Ginsters is a Cornish company. Started out as farmers in Callington, Cornwall. Granted a buffet bar is hardly going to get protected geographical status.

mahalo

I dont like being in Nando’s actual restaurants but im a fan of their wares… often get a takeaway chicken pitta (with all the gubbins) and sneak it into the cinema!! delicious hot fresh and tasty!

5 Guys burgers i do like too but last time it literally cost about £30 for two burgers and chips!? give that a miss in future…

McDonalds is a tricky one because kids happy meals are a big convenience and they love em so is good leverage too. trouble is trying not to order yourself something when your at the window!! but thankfully those times you do serve as a good reminder not to bother again for a while..

agree about subway tho, stinks.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah I like the odd MaccyD’s – very occasionally take our little girls for one (like about 6 times in their 8 years on this planet, however now they are getting a bit older they realise they like it and have started to ask to go more).

Never even had a Nando’s

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve been to a McDonald’s just three times in my life. That’s correct, three. Pestered my mum to take us to Kentucky Fried Chicken when it first arrived in the area, that was fifty years ago, not been back.

Subway: went once. Like a normal sandwich shop but five people handle your sandwich rather than one.

Not been to Burger King, Pizza Express or Pizza Hut, think I’ve been to Nando’s – asked for the veggie option 😀

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll eat crap but there’s a limit.

Drac

Subway, went once never ever again. Dominoes utterly vial pizzas, Five Guys a very run of the mill burger that’s overpriced and small portions. The worst however wad Ed’s American diners just foul food barely edible, thankfully they went bankrupt.

fasthaggis

what chain food can you not bear?

All of them.
    They make me feel slightly sick and a bit sad for the world.
    Next stop Soylent Green 😉

legend
    Free Member

Mister P – Member
    Nando’s, cheeky or otherwise. It’s overpriced chicken and chips, I’ve never understood the attraction

Probs the lack of another chain that does the same at the correct price.

5 Guys is one of very few companies that i’d like to see fail.

teasel
    Free Member

Nothing for me. As per the second post – it’s all shit, really. Foul smelling and tasting. Pizza was the last thing it ate and it was so long ago I can’t recall when. McD’s hasn’t passed my lips since I was at college at 16-17, so about 33 years.

Makes me wanna puke just thinking about the shit I ate back then…

johndoh
    Free Member

I had a 5 Guys and got all over-excited at the fact they have jalapeños as an option for the topping so naturally ordered some.

Raw bl00dy jalapeños is what I got, not pickled as I should have a right to expect. I was robbed.

Chips were nice though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t mind wagamama, get a few dishes hat have a semblance of freshness about them.

freeagent
    Free Member

I don’t mind a McDonalds, or Burger King.
    In fact, i’ll eat pretty much all fast food but hate Costa Coffee/any similar over-priced coffee chains.
    Don’t like Pret a Manger, and despise Café Rouge.

kayak23

Subway take something that should be fresh tasting and wholesome and turn it into stinky oversugared carp. Awful.
    Love pizza Express but they can GTF with the price of their Peroni..

Then you have pubs that only serve Fosters and Carling lager. It’s like the worst fast food experience but with booze.

I don’t like the coffee in a single place you can buy it from including all the usual chains, but in cafes and pubs too. My Aeropress has ruined my ability to stomach mediocre coffee.

fifeandy
    Free Member

KFC chips, they are foul.

An XL bacon double cheese burger meal, whilst hungover, on the other hand…

No need for the hangover, perfect any time you want cheering up and then to slip blissfully into a coma whilst you digest it

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No need for the hangover, perfect any time you want cheering up and then to slip blissfully into a coma whilst you digest it

Also, you get the joy of it coming back on you all day, an all day meal if you will! 😀

alanf
    Free Member

KFC – greasy and horrible
    Subway – bread is awful and food stinks
    McD – Not purchased since c.2004
    Stuff like Frankie and Benni’s is just guff.

Theres seemingly not much that is nice so I don’t bother these days.
    Last time I went was a BK in August 2016 – at the airport so we had limited choice.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Then you have pubs that only serve Fosters and Carling lager. It’s like the worst fast food experience but with booze.

My old local had a tie in with Carlsberg (it’s produced in the town) so the choices became Carlsberg, Tuborg or Carlsberg Export. They have a couple of ales on occasionally but they sell out almost immediately. I no longer drink there.

tomhoward

Five guys, by far the best fast food burger imo, yes it’s expensive, but no more than anywhere else pitched at the same ‘premium’ level.

I’ll only go to subway if there is no other option.

For me it’s Wagamama, fairly dull piles of fairly bland food. Also don’t like the ‘it’s ready when it’s ready’ approach, rather than starter/mains etc

To the ‘it’s all terrible’ folk. GTFOver yourselves. Do you really think these places get so successful, and stay that way by selling shit tasting (if not necessarily healthy) food?

KFC chips, they are foul

Fowl, Shirley? 🙄

wrecker
    Free Member

I will not eat McD’s “beef” not ever. I wouldn’t eat from Wimpy again.
    I don’t mind a wagamama, BK or a 5 guys. Indy options are always better but they are also more expensive and rarely fast.

sbob
    Free Member

Went into a five guys once. Looked at the prices and left. 😆

yeager2004
    Free Member

KFC for me – went for the first time last year with my Nephew who loves it. He took charge of the ordering, and we ended up with a bucket of unbelievably greasy chicken and a big bag of under cooked chips.

Not to be repeated!

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

It’d be easier to list the chain foods i will eat.
    BK about twice a year
    Max about once/twice a month (domestic swedish chain that is giving McDs and BK issues over here, they have even shut down in some places as they can’t compete!)

For the rest of the time over here a chain is basically someone who has managed to open 3 restaurants. So not hugely inspiring, but at least they pay their tax and buy ingredients locally.

teasel
    Free Member

To the ‘it’s all terrible’ folk. GTFOver yourselves. Do you really think these places get so successful, and stay that way by selling shit tasting (if not necessarily healthy) food?

Yes

Doubt me? Take a break for a while and then try it again after a bout of eating decent food.

And wtf is that GTFover yourselves shit about – having a hard day or something…

DezB
    Free Member

Do you really think these places get so successful, and stay that way by selling shit tasting food?

McDonalds hasn’t done too bad on such a model.
    My kid likes the chicken nuggets and they are edible, but the burgers are rank.
    But it’s cheap, quick, you don’t even have to get your wobbly arse out of your car, let alone wash up after, and you just throw the wrappers on the ground when finished. They are the main selling points as far as I can see.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Chain food you dislike’ is closed to new replies.