Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Chain dropping from the big ring, help!
  • slowclimb
    Free Member

When I give it some full beans on the big ring on my road bike the chain skips to the smaller front chain ring, anybody got any remedies?… 😕

tonyd

Assuming your front mech is set up correctly, what sprocket are you on and how old is your drivetrain?

My commuter has started to slip a little, but mostly just when I back pedal in big ring and big sprocket (so generally just when putting the bike away, getting it out).

I’ve been puzzling over it for a couple of weeks, but looked at the chainline yesterday and decided that it’s probably a worn chainring/chain/sprocket thing.

Since I can’t really afford to replace it all just yet my remedy will be to use the little ring and middle of the block more for lower speeds, to try to straighten the chainline and stop the chain skipping off. Should reduce wear also.

slowclimb
    Free Member

Ta, giving it a bit of thought I reckon it is when the chain is up t he block a few gears. I just need to man up and leave it in the 53-11 all the time 🙂

sharkattack

Have a quick scan of the big ring for bent teeth. It doesn’t take much of a bend to make it drop the chain. Easy to diagnose and easy to fix so I’d check it first.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Chain dropping from the big ring, help!’ is closed to new replies.