Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Chain direction ??
  • iainc

Just discovered that when I replaced my 2 x 10 XT drivetrain around 15 rides (30 ish hrs) ago I put it on wrong way round 😳 with writing to inside rather than out. It’s on with a KMC link for ease but due to the efficieny of Squirt lube I didn’t have a need to remove. Anyway, its now the right way round. I guess theoretically it is directional for strength, so seeing as its now correct I presume all is hunky dory ?

Or will I drown in a pool of snake oil ? 😀

hora
    Free Member

Oh I better check. Writing on outside is correct then?

iainc

😀 aye, outside. I never even thought about it but was fitting a new ultegra chain, rings and cassette on road bike and saw it in the instructions so checked the HT 😳

iainc

Googling it talks of smoother shifting and optimised ramping. I can’t say I noticed but then the old drivetrain was done, so new one, even on wrong way probably bound to be better. Will see if any different next ride. Its not done enough to really have worn.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Is this the same with 9 speed shimano chains?

benpinnick

Shifting ramps on the unprinted side… on SLX. On XT I think they work both ways… maybe. EIther way I have not found it makes much difference.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Switch to a KMC chain. Directionless, will never or rarely snap unlike Shimano and SRAM 😉 and you don’t have fiddly pin things to deal with like Shimano (though yes you can also use missing/quick links).

iainc

^^^ perhaps I have been lucky, but have used Shimano chains on shimano cassettes and rings on all bikes for years, with very few problems. I have KMC quick links on them all.

johnners
    Free Member

If it’s like the 9 speed it only matters if you’re using a Shimano joining pin, it apparently makes for a stronger join if used in the leading hole (of the outer plate). It wouldn’t matter if you use a joining link instead, 9 speed chains are non-directional with writing on both sides.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Cheers Johnners – I use a sram quick link and thought there was writing both sides.

iainc

well i rode it ‘the right way round’ and it didn’t seem noticeably different 🙂

perthmtb
    Free Member

It’s not about strength, its about better shifting, but only at the front. The outer (writing side) links have cutouts that help catch the pins & ramps when shifting up to a larger chainring.

MSP

I suspect it might also influence cassette wear, if the ramping isn’t correct. Especially on the newer and rather expensive 11 speed cassettes.

njee20
    Free Member

Except the expensive cassettes are generally SRAM, which aren’t directional…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Chain direction ??’ is closed to new replies.