Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Chain Device or Clutched Rear Mech?
  • poonprice
    Free Member

Hi All,

After an extended period off my bike due to a snapped collarbone i’m slowly starting to rebuild the bike after a full stripdown and service and have decided to make a few changes.

I want to try 1 x 10, so have a couple of questions.

I’m looking at either 33t or 34t, probably going for either a renthal or blackspires chainring and realise I need a bash guard and chain device, any recommendation? or good combos?

Can you get away with just a bash guard and a clutched rear mech? or will the chain still be prone to dropping?

Mackem

First I tried just a bash, not too bad but had a drop at least once a ride then I tried a double-bash for while (from BBG), it worked fine but in the end I went for a fancy dan chainring instead. (I’m using a wolftooth one), no dropped chains yet.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Get away? yeah, kind of. I’m still on a ocnventional chainringm, and I have good days and bad days, there doesn’t seem to be much consistency between when it drops and doesn’t only that its not that prone on tech, as opposed to soft roughness, uneven wood bridges, fields, etc. Think some form of resonance may get going and flip the chain wildy.

Fancy chainring on the way here too.

Northwind

My experience, 1×10 with a normal single ring just doesn’t work without a device, clutch or not (a double bashring sandwich would be fine though but obviously a normal bashring doesn’t stop it coming off the inside.

Get one of the thick/thin chainrings- XX1, Works Components, Wolftooth, or Raceface. Do believe the hype 😉 I rode my Ragley hardtail down the worldcup route at fort william with no bashring or chain device, just the clutch mech and clever Works chainring, fair to say it got a rattling but didn’t come off once.

warpcow
    Free Member

Either a guide + clutch, or a ‘thick-thin’ chainring (using a Works Components one just now) + clutch. It remains to be seen whether the chainrings works as well after it’s worn a bit, but for the price I’m very pleasantly surprised. I spent the first couple of rides with the old guide in my pack expecting to drop the chain all the time, but it never happened.

Northwind

Hah, glad I’m not the only person with a chainguide in their pocket, I thought that was a bit weird 🙂

poonprice
    Free Member

I don’t really want to spend too much more than £100

So its either go for a XT Clutch Mech and a Works Components chainring, however these seem in short supply and limited teeth. Or do I just get a full on chain device like DMR Viral

micky
    Free Member

I run a hope chainring and shimano Zee clutch mech with the clutch turned off (I prefer having lighter shifting) and I have yet to drop a chain. I used to have a superstar BB guide but thought i’d try without it because it rubbed and have not looked back. I have a 1×10 on an ST4 and ride in wales on some pretty rocky natural stuff and around cwmcarn etc. I don’t know why some people can get away without needing them, some not and some inbetween. Is it something to do with alignment, chain tension? riding technique? chain length? I would advise trying without one

bigblackshed

Hope chainring, bash and short cage Zee clutch mech. Not dropped once.

YMMV.

skeetsgb
    Free Member

poonprice – Member

I don’t really want to spend too much more than £100

So its either go for a XT Clutch Mech

merlin were doing them for £56 last week as i got one myself. they only have the long cage left now though if your interested.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/transmission-gears/derailleurs-rear-mtb/shimano-xt-m786-10-speed-shadow-rear-mech.html

danielgroves
    Free Member

I’m running 1×10, XT clutch mech with an e*thirteen guide ring. I use a hope bash and chain device (top only, very minimal and very light), I haven’t dropped a chain in the six or so months I’ve been running this combination.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Anyone running one of these + a bash?

http://www.raidiumchainguide.co.uk/index.html?m

Mackem

That’s pretty much the same as I had (BBG version). Generally ok, did have the chain jam between the inner ring and chainring. It was pretty foul, sticky muddy conditions, reckon a spacer somewhere would have eliminated the possibilty.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Chain Device or Clutched Rear Mech?’ is closed to new replies.