Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Chain damaging frame
  • andybanks
    Free Member

Managed a few nice rides on my C456 now and the chain stay is getting snagged by the chain and I’m worried its causing some pretty nasty damage – I can see some nasty scuffs on the carbon already.

I’ve got a home made protector on made from an inner tube covering almost all the chain stay, but this damage is behind my front gears and is from the chain getting snagged when shifting.

My chain is pretty news and clean,, cassette is pretty new and my front gears don’t look too worn.

Any ideas what can be done to either protect this part of the frame or to stop it happening?

Thanks

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

That’l stop it, but could be your chain sticking to worn chainring, amongst other problems.

andyl
    Free Member

I don’t think those devices fit the C456.

I made my own out of carbon fibre which fits and works very well as (in my opinion) it’s designed better than the K-Edge.

gmex619
    Free Member

Actually I used a Blackspire Stinger on my C456. It eliminated the chain suck completely. I think you can use then with 2x* as well as 1x*.

DT78
    Free Member

Do not waste your money on that k-edge poc. Mine lasted one ride and one incident of chain suck. The little metal pins just get ripped out and the backplate bends. Wiggle refunded me in full as I said the product was not fit for purpose.

What eventually fixed my chainsuck on my duster was to replace the 22t XT ring with a larger 26t steel granny ring

andybanks
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

I’m also running 3x as I swapped all my old components to my C456 and ain’t got the budget for swapping anything else.

Can you get those guards for 3x?

sugdenr
    Free Member

I just put stinger on my mojo to try and stop this – new chainrings, chain and cassette has me foxed but guess its the fabled mojo chainsuck. Anyway it had some pretty serious gouge damage that i just patched up with carbon tow, west epoxy and the insulating tape trick i learned on here. I have given the bike some punishment as it was so its obviously very strong.

p7rich
    Free Member

Last time i suffered chainsuck removing a link or two sorted it. Could be a quick, simple solution?

matt_outandabout

I also do the old inner tube wrapped round the stay trick. Works really, really well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Chain damaging frame’ is closed to new replies.