• This topic has 25 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Chain cleaning maintenance what do you use
  • stonemonkey
    Free Member

After a ride of 3 punctures , snapping my chain twice and a crash, oil on my R disc and a constant squeeky BB amd gonna spend more time looking after the iron horse , so what are people using for cleaning and lube. Currently using TF2 and havent degreesed for ages

Inzane
    Free Member

degreasing is bad for your chain. You just need to clean all the muck off the outside regularly.

i find letting the bike dry after riding and then using a wire brush on the cogs and chain works a treat, then lube, let soak in and clean off with rag.

Degreasing washes the grease out from inside the chains bushes and washes bits of grit in. You would have to literally soak the chain in lube to get the lube back in where you need it.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Despite what inzane says, I do just that. Use engine degreaser to clean the again thoroughly, work it in with a toothbrush so it gets all the muck off, then rinse with lots of water. This takes 5 mins, then leave to dry then lots of lube, leave to soak in overnight then wipe off the excess the next day. Depends how fussy you want to be really.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Deb jizer and a chain bath. Rinse, then repeat with fairy liquid. rinse, allow to dry and a drip of pedros on each link. Road of the summer, ATB for the winter.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Use one of them clean box whatsits with detergent about 1/5 rides. Otherwise just wipe it. If it gets really gunky I soak it in white spirit, but it needs a lot of lube after that.

uplink
    Free Member

I just use Rock ‘n’ Roll Extreme for the chain lube
    No need to ever degrease or clean the chain as it stays nice & shiny all on its own

philjunior
    Free Member

Just a rag to wipe it down and a bottle of oil.

Then replace as necessary.

Degreasing isn’t really worth it, even if it does extend the life of your chain a bit.

KonaTC

I opt to remove the chain every couple of rides, soak in a bit of white spirit and then wash with fairy liquid hot water, leave to dry.

With the chain hanging up dribble lube from the top to the bottom, leave to dry and turn the chain around and repeat. I feel dribbling the lube from the top allows it to penetrate each link & roller by gravity and capillary action.

Wipe with a clean cloth to remove any excess, top up lube as and when required.

hora
    Free Member

Starbrite. I dont know why you people buy Muckoff.

retro83
    Free Member

why would degreasing be bad for a chain?

I use this spray called ‘gunk’ from wilkos. Costs a couple of quid and lasts months. Gets the chain sparklingly clean in moments. Then a tiny amount of epic ride and it’s running perfectly again.

Remove the chain from the bike first as you don’t want engine degreaser getting into your bb, pivots etc 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have been using this putoline chain wax – drop chain in the boiling wx – comes out clean and properly regreased. The chain does not pick up much dirt – but the wax itself is filthy stuff.

Lasts several rides no matter the conditions

Kramer
    Free Member

hora – what’s wrong with Muckoff?

smiffy

What’s wrong with muc-off is the price. it’s just weak caustic solution. caustic is £1.59/500g in Wilko. three teaspoonfuls to a small hand sprayer (99p Wilko, or re-use a household cleaner spray). once dry re-oil with sawchain oil (£10/5 litre in Countrywide). oil some time before you ride to allow capilliary action to draw the oil into the rollers, oil one side of the chain only to maximise capilliary action. wipe off excess with kitchen roll (Wilko/LIDL).

barrykellett
    Free Member

uplink – Member

No need to ever degrease or clean the chain as it stays nice & shiny all on its own

I’m a recent convert.
    Its the way forward.
    After using this stuff I suddenly realised the stupidity of degreasing chains to the core for the past few years. Clean the outside regularly and keep it nice and lubed and it will last longer.

Chain needs to be changed when it stretches anyway and with the amount I spent on White lightening degreaser I could have point a new chain every 3 months

DoctorRad
    Free Member

uplink – Member

How often do you have to use it? And how many re-lubes does a 4oz bottle last?

glenp
    Free Member

I would even dispute that a regular regime of chain degreasing and re-lubing extends chain life. In my experience it is far better to do the minimum – knock off the dirt once dry (don’t wash it, just leave it) and apply dry lube.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Degreasing washes the grease out from inside the chains bushes and washes bits of grit in. You would have to literally soak the chain in lube to get the lube back in where you need it.

Yes, you’re absolutely right.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I just like the fact that I can start a ride without that grinding sensation. Worth the effort of cleaning it. Plus it’s quite theraputic.

uplink
    Free Member

How often do you have to use it? And how many re-lubes does a 4oz bottle last?

I re-apply after every ride

20 – 30 applications, I would have thought

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Fairy liquid the chain then give it a good brush after 3 or 4 rides.

I always apply lots of ptfe lube but make sure that I only leave the chain for 5 minutes then wipe all the excess off. After all, you only need to lube the bushes.

timber

chain off, into a milk container, bit of parrafin, shake, re-fit, re-lube
    when I can be bothered anyway

smiffy – sawchain oil? as in chainsaw oil? not the glorified veg oil bio stuff?

or mineral chain saw oil, got 200 litres in the shed I could make further use of

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Worth the effort of cleaning it. Plus it’s quite theraputic.

Tell me, do you iron your socks? 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

I don’t iron my socks but I’ve sewn little coloured dots inside them so I can match them up after washing.

nickc

like Timbur chain off into jar with white spirits quick shoogie, wipe off, back onto bike, lube, takes a minute, if I stop to make a cup of tea.
    Happy with the life of my chain

hora
    Free Member

Kramer – Member

hora – what’s wrong with Muckoff?

Nowt- just dont think its the only solution. Cheers Smiffy! 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Smiffy- is caustic ok to use on aluminium? Was going to buy some from Wilkinsons this weekend.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Chain cleaning maintenance what do you use’ is closed to new replies.