Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Chain cleaning gizmos: what's good?
  • cinnamon_girl

My Park Tools one left me distinctly unimpressed due to it falling apart. There seems to be a few others around but what’s really up to the job?

Thanks. 🙂

mrbelowski
    Free Member

I’ve tried 2 cheap ones (can’t even remember what they were called / where from) and they were both complete crap. I guess the expensive ones are too.

Now I use cheap chains, wipe worst of the crap off them, and just have to cope with the sound of them grinding down my (cheap) cassettes

hot_fiat

Have used barberi and park. They’re both pretty effective but the barberi would benefit from being made from a plastic that wasn’t eaten by degreaser. The park is very brittle – particularly around the clamps that hold it together. Someone needs to make an all metal one.

nealy
    Free Member

£2 lidl or aldi ones work fine, bought 2 and still on first one although it’s hardly robust. I use rock n roll so most of the time when i use it it’s just with water from the hose rather than degreaser

jsync

I gave up on them as they’re a bit rubbish. Tried this instead and it’s really good Fenwicks

scraggy
    Free Member

I went for a muc off pink coloured gizmo,decided to go for this over a park because it has a smaller reservoir so it uses less fairy liquid.not that I’m a tight wad,we’ll maybe a tad tight.it works really well so far,I’ve had it about 4 months or so still works perfect.

hs125
    Free Member

The best gizmo is a quick link, to take the chain off for a proper clean. All the other contraptions I’ve tried are only ever good for a quick, but not that good, clean when time is short.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the replies. Good idea but poorly executed!

It started to fall apart pretty quickly, brushes fell out and one has been lost. It’s not easy to use and has to go.

Bazz

Power link, jam jar and white spirit!

garage-dweller

Variation on bazz

Muc-off squirted onto wet dust pan brush hold with bristles well into the cassette turn cranks forward and drag chain and cassette across brush then rinse . This gets surface crud off.

Split chain at quick link put in plastic soup pot with your choice of degrease and shake vigorously. Remove wipe and leave to dry.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Chinse food container / power link / white spirit. Cassette can go in too.

edward2000
    Free Member

Fenwick chain cleaner and sponge is all you need

Onzadog
    Free Member

Similar to others. Powerlink, oasis bottle swarfega jizer.

But the weldtite chain cleaners are probably the best of a bad bunch but don’t seem to do much more than an old toothbrush.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Lidl one, £4 with cleaning liquid and a bottle of oil! Oil is doubtlessly terrible quality but does fine for the commuting SS and squeaky hinges for that matter, and the cleaner still works fine.

jacob46
    Free Member

spray the hell out of it with gt50 while turning the arms round. then dry and new oil.

booktownman
    Free Member

Bike upside down. Spray cassette with muc off, turn the cranks pressing a scrubbing brush to the chain, do the same for the cassette, jockey wheels, chainrings. A couple of minutes – done.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Chain cleaning gizmos: what's good?’ is closed to new replies.