Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Chafing, ouch!!
  • Mounty_73

I have never suffered from chafing whilst riding, but over the weekend a few of us did a 18 mile charity walk and on the last couple of miles the chafing was getting painful…

I wear wicking underwear etc, but are there any other options or remedies to use?

Doing a 26er in a couple of weeks and I want to minimise chafing….

Drac

martinhutch

Anti-perspirant on the sweatiest areas. I’m assuming that extra sweat was one of the issues.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I get it bad when walking, greasing up like a minty monkey is the way to go.

Mounty_73

It was hot on Sunday and sweat was an issue, I have had a little chafing before, but not like this, it almost brought tears to my eyes!! 😉

Far too much info but it was between the buttocks (the most painful) and under the family jewels! 😉

PiknMix
    Free Member

mmmmm chefs arse!

jonba
    Free Member

As above really except I use udderly smooth on the bike. Nappy rash cream would probably work just as well.

piemonster

I wear wicking underwear etc, but are there any other options or remedies to use?

Wicking underwear that work perhaps?

I swear by X-Bionics energizer pants, ive done many 30-50mile runs in these. Not cheap, but mine have proved very durable. Although Ive just realised I have £150’s worth of them. One for almost every day of the week. Dead comfy, no chaffing for me.

I’ll also use some compression pants kit. Under Armour and Nike, if its going to be apocalyptically wet I use these. Not so comfy, but very very effective and preventing chaffing IME.

Never ever used chamois cream when on foot, no idea what the results would be. However, Ive known several runners/walkers resort to Vaseline as a solution. I’ve tried it, and found it to be a remedy and not a cure.

Mounty_73

I have been wearing Under Armour underwear, never used them before….obviously not working well then…

I have cream for cycling, so might give that a go for the next big walk, the vaseline option has been said a few times, but I tried it years ago and to be honest its a bit messy and marked some of my clothing…

freeagent
    Free Member
    piemonster

bit messy and marked some of my clothing

Its not the best look in the world.

Mounty_73

Yes I used this after the event, but not out and about, as white looking stuff on black trousers is not a good look! 😉

scotroutes

Were you wearing a rucksack? It can happen that you’ll sweat so much under it that the sweat runs down your back and into your arse crack. Some folk have overcome this by tucking a small towel into the top of their shorts to soak it up and let it evaporate away.

Mounty_73

Were you wearing a rucksack?

Yes, a camelbak hawg……not sure, there might have been a trickle… 😉

lunge

Assuming it was where I think it was just wear a pair of unpadded cycling shorts (like the stuff footballers/rugby players wear) under your shorts or trousers. I do walks of similar length to you and always where them. A little bit of chamois cream or Vaseline will also do no harm.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Chafing, ouch!!’ is closed to new replies.