Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Chaffin! (new saddle recommendation?)
  • huggis
    Free Member

I’m currently have 130mm Specialized Toupe saddles on my cross and road bikes and find them very comfortable with the exception of chaffing on longer rides on the inside of my thigh. The saddle has minimal padding, so I don’t think that squashing and bunching up is the issue. I had my sit bones measured at 102mm which seems quite narrow. Any recommendations? I am gravitating towards a Specialized Phenom …

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Fizik Arione has a narrow nose; narrower than Specialized saddles.

huggis
    Free Member

Yes looked at them but they don’t seem to have the centre channel like the spesh and some of the Selle Italia

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The Versus X model has a centre channel if you feel you need one.

Or get a Selle SMP which seem to be regarded as the ultimate bicycle seat. THe centre channel on those are huge.

widge34
    Free Member

Try using chamois cream. Very effective. Roadies use it all the time.

huggis
    Free Member

Looking at the Selle Novus Flow and Spesh Romin which seem to be more cut away around the inner though area (Probably the same saddle)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The Romin has a really wide nose.

try some arch support in your shoes

huggis
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – that’s an interesting suggestion…actually the rubbing only happens on one side where I have a shorter leg! Perhaps that has something to do with it.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Of course it does!

Your arch probably collapses under load and hence your thigh tracks “inward” and rubs on the saddle.

Some decent insoles might solve it, or at least help solve it.

Your saddle might also be too high and you’re falling off to that side to try and reach the pedal. Although after fitting insoles, you might need to raise your seat. Who knows….

dpfr

Ah, huggis, you could be me. I have quite a big leg length difference and ride with orthotics. I’m not sure they quite compensate exactly and I get chafing inside my right thigh sometimes. I can avoid this by ever-so-slightly turning the saddle away from a perfect straight line to the left.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Easiest thing to try would be putting strips of “not too soft” bar tape under the arch of your current insole till you can feel it supporting your arch. You’ll probably need more than you think. Worth a go anyway.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I have quite a big leg length difference

Stick a shim under you cleat

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Chaffin! (new saddle recommendation?)’ is closed to new replies.