• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by bigG.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Chaffage?
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

So im going to ask a bit of a personal question as its starting to annoy me now…. I recently moved so that I now have a 7.5m cycle each way to work, its not a huge commute but its a good half hour cycle each way in London.

I do it on a road bike (its pictured below taking his computer for a walk) and have recently started to get really sore crotch area, you know the bit right inbetween your leg and ball sack? there is also a tiny little hard lump like a cyst (dont worry its not the C word) and its bloomin sore…

I started wearing padded shorts after xmas but seemed to have not helped, can anyone suggest ways of stopping this? or is it simply because my bike is too small for me? im 5’11” and got a 52cm frame…

Northwind

I’d fanny around with the riding position personally- it looks pretty damn head-down but seems to have a flipped stem? Got any other saddles you can try?

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

I suppose i better add i usually wear some baggy cycling shorts and boxers or padded liners

druidh
    Free Member

Get down to just lycra shorts.

However, I reckon you must be leaning way over – that’s probably causing more rubbing than is necessary.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

what size bike should i have for being 5’11”? i know minimal amounts about road bikes!

firestarter
    Free Member

Nice forum name and topic link 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

56cm thereabout at a guess varies depending on design and make tho

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

i find bumhole funnier… right any excuse for a new bike!

bigG
    Free Member

sounds like your saddle is high causing you to hold your weight on your notcher. try dropping it slightly, and use chamois cream for a while to soothe the sore place.

and +1 for padded shorts only, everything else is just going to create friction

rj
    Free Member

Either have a shower at either end of your commute, or at least have a quick rub with some baby wipes, an anti-fungal cream may also help. I believe the medical term is Jock itch.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’m 5’9″ on a good day and ride a 54, so your bike is really too small.

You could try lowering the nose of your saddle that might relieve some pressure on your tisn’t.

Higher and longer stem may help, but your frame is too small.

somafunk

Sounds more like an ingrowing hair or a blocked follicle, literally a pain in the arse to get rid off. I used to get them a few years ago when i was doing silly mileage and nowt really worked – they feel like a little hard tiny pea that is under the skin and **** sore like you say, i used tea-tree oil, anti-bacterial chamois creme, fresh shorts every ride so that was everyday/sometimes twice a day if i rode in the morning and at night.

Get it sorted before the doc has to do a slice n’ dice on it. 😯

theblackmount
    Free Member

Thread title and user name of 2013?

Not surprised you have issues with that set up / instrument of torture.

Change you bike and see a doctor.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds more like an ingrowing hair or a blocked follicle,

+1 see here

Plenty of air to affected area, so ask you boss if you can work in the nod.

And get some chamois cream/barrier cream to prevent it happening again.

allthepies
    Free Member

As the chaffage occurred before you started using padded shorts (not surprised) and you’re presumably biking in daily (?) then it’s not having the chance to heal up. Either give the biking a rest for a few days or get some chamois cream and slap it on the affected area.

lunge

2 things spring to mind. 1, your bike is too small, you need a 56cm frame I’d say. 2, loose the boxers at least and ideally the baggies as well. Just fresh, clean padded lycra will help.

hs125
    Free Member

Sudocream* This will help a huge amount while you get the other issues sorted.

*other nappy rash creams are available

scaredypants

whatever happened to sore_tint ? He’d have known what to do

LabMonkey
    Free Member

Chamois cream when riding, talc after showering, (Assos) skin repair gel for bed.

First two all the time. The last one only when you have ‘damage’ to deal with.

iainc

Looking at the picture, it is very much seat up head down, more so than many pro race setups. Can’t see that helping much.

Aquaprofile

Get a ‘cycle specific’ computer ie a garmin, rather than carrying that heavy box – can’t be good for your undercarriage.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

many thanks for the advice, will look into changing the bike, unfortunately i dont have any padded shorts just got some liners, will sort that out also…

Thing is it started before christmas then i was up home for christmas and didnt ride for two weeks thought that would sort it out.

Is just wearing jogging bottoms around the house considered aired enough? commando…

bigG
    Free Member

Commando can create Betty swollox so loose fitting pants/boxers is best bet. Something like these-

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Chaffage?’ is closed to new replies.