Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • CH radiators – how do you tell a good one ?
  • scaredypants

Had 2 rads put in about 3yrs ago – by a “friend” of ours, both now rusted to buggery and need replacing

Bit pissed off with our mate but … 🙄

Anyhow, how do I tell a good rad from a shit one before fitting and waiting 3yr ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

stick to good brands.

500 quid CH system from bnq will do that

ive got delonghis – not cheap (at retail) my dads in and out the merchants on a revolving door basis and bought a bunch of cosmetically damaged ones for about 25 quid each 😀 – quick spray enamel in the garage = good as new

scaredypants

thanks t_r
    any other brands that are OK ?

footflaps

I bought most of mine from Screwfix, only had the one in the bathroom go rusty over the last few years, others have been fine.

spchantler
    Free Member

all rads are made of mild steel, what knackers them is not having the right ratio of this in the system. did your mate put any in? do you have to top up the system periodically?

flowerpower
    Free Member

Slight hijack – I’m also replacing radiators – but trying to do it without changing the pipe work, so am looking for sizes to fit the existing valves.

When you buy a radiator in a box from the like of B&Q does the width measurement relate to the body of the radiator, the length of the lower edge (so including the slight protrusion at each end) or a pipe to pipe measurement?

I realise that there is some play in moving the pipes, even if this means cutting a larger hole in the floor boards.

nealglover
    Free Member

Ive fitted loads of delonghis (from City Plumbing) for customers over the years. I’ve never yet been out to replace one.

They aren’t cheap, but they are very good.

Compared to buying it and fitting it yourself it will probably be cheaper to get a plumber to supply and fit as the trade discounts on them are great at City Plumbing.

Worth a comparison at least.

(And as above – Get some Inhibitor in there while you’re at it)

trail_rat
    Free Member

agree fernox or similar in any system

cheap rads – materials might be mild steel but thickness and grade all vary. best will in the world and even with fernox they will still rust through – they are notorious for it.

We put delonghis in my parents back in 1999 along with a WB combi.

every single one of them is still there – when we droped the system a couple years ago doing the extension we took one of the rads outside to flush just while it was dropped – fernox isnt cheap if you adhere to propper dosage…..

absolutely no gunk – water flushed clean. – the dropped water was also clear.
    was enough for me. job jobbed.

stelrad were another that my dad suggested but i like things ive seen with my eyes so went delonghi

footflaps

all rads are made of mild steel, what knackers them is not having the right ratio of

My bathroom rad has surface rust on it – i.e. rusting in not out!

totalshell

yer protechtors/ inhibitors only work on the insides.. frankly all rads in dam areas or where water is present.. loos bathrooms kitchens will diaplay surface rust in 6-8 years.. we fit purmo and stelrad and i havent seen one yet outside of those areas have any rust..

i have seen two corroded rads.. one where a dogs bloke was ‘relieving’ itself against the rad in the living room and the worst.. look away now..

a young man said the rad beside his bed was leaking.. pulled the bed out and it was literally rotten through on the front surface.. apparently he often came home drunk and couldnt get out of bed for a pee so rolled over on his side and fired..

nealglover
    Free Member

i have seen two corroded rads.. one where a dogs bloke was ‘relieving’ itself against the rad in the living room

Sounds like the dog needs to train his bloke better 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘CH radiators – how do you tell a good one ?’ is closed to new replies.