Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cervelo S3
  • davetrave
    Free Member

Anybody got the new Cervelo S3? What’re your thoughts on it as a summer-best-road-bike all-rounder? Ta.

wilburt
    Free Member

Don’t own one but test rode that and an R3 seemed Ok to me.

Picto
    Free Member

Got a cervelo carbon soloist. Slightly older version of the S2 and really like it as a do all. Ridden in the alps on it, ridden Tour of Flanders, as well as a host of UK events and lub rides. Have been really happy with it.

Only light criticism is that I guess it is a little harsh but not massively so. It is very solid and seems to go pretty quicly.

I would guess the S3 would be similar but more aero and more compliant in the rear triangle.

My only reservation with the Cervelo is the paintwork. The paint on mine has lifted slightly around the hole in the top tube where the brake cable enters the frame. This is apparently common and is caused by sweat. It is not uncommon with cervelo’s – check on the web. It is not covered by warranty. Hazard of light paint work perhaps. In saying this I would have an S3 if I could afford one. Nicer looking bike than the S5 in my eyes, and allegedly stiffer.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

A lot of the Garmin team rode S3’s as apposed to S5’s this year, says something I guess.

Nice bike, although there are a lot of nice bikes at that price point.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nice, but then I’m a fanbouy owner.
    S3 is a nice roadie, harder riding than the R’s because it’s meant for more rolling terrain.

Can’t you try one out?

Try Road.cc they’ve tested it..

davetrave
    Free Member

Picto, v useful thanks, how did you find it in the Alps and what cassette/chainring set-up did you use? Most of my riding is predominantly Lake District although work has me in the North Downs, around Newbury, fairly regulalry. Would that be the hole up by the head tube or by the seat tube…?

Yeah, seen Garmin using the S3 a lot, Millar rode one in the Classics so can’t be too bad…

Bikebouy, read the reviews but can’t try one out just yet – aside from what work has me doing in the UK, they’ve got me in eastern Africa for 8 months and not home until mid-December. Closest dealer to me otherwise would be Wheelbase and they’re showing pretty low on stock in all sizes at the moment…

crazybaboon

I’ve had one since April, built with Ultegra Di2 and Zipp 404.
    Really nice bike, definitely quicker than my last bike, wether that’s due to the aero frame or the wheels I don’t know.
    Very comfortable, I’ve done a few rides over 100miles on it, it does feel a little firmer than my other bike, but as that’s a Rouxbaix with tubeless tyres it’s to be expected.
    Paint quality is much improved since Cervelo has become part of the Pon group, in fact the finish is probardly one of the best I’ve seen.
    Down sides are that the aero seat post can creak if it’s not regularly had carbon assembly paste applied, the rotor bbright to shimano bottom bracket didn’t last very long on my second already, thinking of trying an infinite bb next.
    I like it that much I’m selling my Roubaix and getting a R2 instead!
    Considering I work at a Specialized dealer I’m paying a lot more to get a Cervelo!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok so my post really meant ” I’ve got an R5ca, brag, blah de blah, get one, blah de blah ” 😆

And I’ve got to say ive never riden an S3, though my mate has the S5. Now he says it too is faster than his previous bike ( an Orca ) which on balance is probably right. He’s got Red on it and no fancy schmancy batteries to charge up and like m prefers the old Skool mechanical shifters…

Only real comparison I have is my R5, which to this day is the best roadie I have ever owned ( and I have an early Parlee Z3 to compare it with, and loads of other top end roadies I’ve owned ) so, I’d say C’velo have the right products in the right place and you’ll not go far wrong with choosing any of the models. Clearly this depends on what type of riding you intend doing, but as my mate says his S5 will whip my R5 over rolling terrain, and it has done TBH, but then he is a bit fitter than me so hey…

Build quality is exceptional, i too had a couple of creaks from the pxBB but Condor sorted it out for me and it’s been excellent ever since.

Tyres will make a difference, not too sure what brand you like but I’m using Challenge Crits ATM and running them on M40C’s which is a sublime ride…

HTH, enjoy Africa and I think you’ve made a good choice in the S3..

Picto
    Free Member

In the alps i ran 50/34 up front and 12/27 last time i went. This was ok. There were a few climbs i would have liked a smaller gear at various points – col de romme.

It was the hole near the head tube and sweat from riding the bike on the turbo. If the paint is improved that is really good.

Really like my frame. It is obviously a few years old but still looks good and rides superbly.

davetrave
    Free Member

Ta. Was looking at “pro compact” 52/36 (which this year’s model comes with) and a 12-27 so shouldn’t be too bad for Kirkstone, maybe just a little more time on the leg press…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cervelo S3’ is closed to new replies.