Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cervelo R3
  • Haze

My original plan of building up a new summer bike based on a Canyon Ultimate CF SL is not going to plan.

Funds are proving difficult to raise at the moment so thinking of postponing until next year when maybe I have a better budget.

Which leads me onto the R3, very nice aren’t they…any reason not to?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Didn’t realise limited funds and Cervelo were a match?

tlr

Not that I can think of. I used to have a 2009 one, her indoors now has a 2013 one. Mine was only replaced when I got a good deal on an R5.

Stiff, comfy, fast and light. Good warranty. What’s not to like?

Haze

Monkey, just proving difficult to raise to finish a build in time for summer. Figured I’d play the long game and maybe be able to fund something a little posher…it’s plus £700 on the Canyon for a frameset so not exactly eye watering.

Haze

Lifetime warranty for the original owner, ticking all the boxes so far…

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

OK, asked this on road.Cc, but those douches never answered.

Last year they did a 105 build R3 Dark for £2k. It got snapped up because it was a rebadged R5 frame (which was £3k at the time).
    But I see they now have a R3 105 build at £2k, non limited edition – lots of availability.
    As far as I can tell it’s the same bike – has ‘squoval’ tubes and an asymmetric BB… Cockpit finishing kit is different but comparable. Have they done a general release on last year’s limited edition bargain? Or am I missing something…?

Haze

Believe there’s been some ‘trickle down’ from the R5 to the new R3 that includes the squoval and stays.

Not sure how/if the 105 version is any different?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Proper bike, used as ex pros TdF frame and forks a few years ago. Stiff, light, fast, can take a lot of hacking and misuse. Proper looking, get it in black if you can but I’ve seen some nice looking white ones with 105 on and you can’t fault them at all. Still up there with the best made frames in industry, rejuvenated image for the trickle down spec brigade.
    Serious bike make no mistake.

I have an R5ca and I thought very long and hard about that before I spent my cash, but bloody hell, it’s flipping fabulous.

Cervelos will always remind me of Carlos Sastre hacking Alp D’huez, epic. 😀

TiRed

I don’t think the current “new” R3 is the same frame as the R3 Dark (which sold out almost instantly). But it has trickle down.

fathomer

Sorry for the thread hijack, but where does the RS sit in their range or has it been discontinued?

Shred
    Free Member

The RS is discontinued now. I got one of the last frames in the uk and love it.

They were known to crack around the BB, but with a lifetime warranty, I’m not worried.

fathomer

Thanks Shred, I’ve been looking at a second hand one, think I’ll give it a miss if that’s the case.

SamB
    Free Member

R3s are lovely, but why not an S3 instead? Just aesthetics or is this a bike you expect to do more climbing on?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Now that the R3 105 is a ‘standard’ model, I can see me picking one up in the sales this year. Selling at £2k just now, I’m guessing £1300-1400 late August in the sale.

Another bike to check out is the Colnago AC-R, again £2k with 105. Its frame was in the Tour de France a couple of years back – so top quality stuff.

amplebrew

Looking at the Cervelo website, the R3 105 and the R3 Ultegra have different frames.

The R3 105 has external routing and an FK30 fork whilst the R3 Ultegra has internal routing and an FK32 fork.

I’ve not seen the new models in the flesh though, that’s just an observation from a quick look on their website.

They’re really lovely looking bikes.

hatter

2013 R5 here, bought largely for it’s supposed and lack of rider weight limit, damn they are nice, very happy with it, handles beautifully, just wish I had more opportunities to put the miles in.

They are VERY light though and some of the tubes are very thin, no problems under normal road riding but they should be treated with a certain degree of respect.

Haze

SamB – Member
    R3s are lovely, but why not an S3 instead? Just aesthetics or is this a bike you expect to do more climbing on?

I’m a sucker for the aesthetics yes, much nicer lines than aero frames.

I love a good climb too, although there’s nothing around here that I couldn’t wrestle an S3 up.

flange
    Free Member

I have an R5ca and I thought very long and hard about that before I spent my cash, but bloody hell, it’s flipping fabulous.

Hold up – you have a ca?? I DEMAND pics!

hatter

Hold up – you have a ca?? I DEMAND pics!

… and your address, security arrangements and rough times when you’ll be out over the next few days.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cervelo R3’ is closed to new replies.