Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ceramics sculpture – repairs advice?
  • dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I need advice from the STW hive mind – what’s the best method to use to repair this custom hand-made statue sculpture thingy?
    It was a present to me, but the cat knocked it over & it’s broken apart.

Is there a specific adhesive I should use on it? Or just a bit of grip-fill 😉

kayak23

It was a present to me, but the cat knocked it over & it’s broken apart.

Sure…sure… 😉

You don’t want an adhesive that has a thickness to it such as gripfill as it would stop the joint fully mating.

Usually superglue type glue is used on small ceramic repairs but you need to be quick and exacting and the joint needs to be very close fitting. Any voids and it’s not ideal.
    Usually with ceramic breaks you have a perfect joint to glue back, unless it’s shattered into a million bits.

If there are bits missing, or voids then an epoxy resin can work well, giving you time to position the repair. If the joint is too close fitting then epoxy can actually get squeezed out of the joint and not have enough ‘body’ to be effective. You also tend to need to apply pressure over the curing time as it’s not ‘sticky’ as such.

That looks like a fairly weighty bird so I’d imagine an epoxy would be better than superglue which can lack strength on a joint like that if being subjected to certain forces.

Have a read on here…

spooky_b329

2 part epoxy probably your best bet.

globalti
    Free Member

Er…. you want to keep it?

scaled
    Free Member

Gorilla superglue expands when it sets, filling any voids – you’ve just got to be careful not to put too much on.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

It must have great sentimental value.

natrix
    Free Member

2 part epoxy like araldite

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

HA – don’t me mean, it was made specifically by hand for me as a birthday present, to go along with the day’s Falconry activities we did. 😆 We did a couple of hours taking a pair of harris hawks for a walk amongst other things – this is a model of the female one 😉
    The sculptor has since died so we can’t even get it repaired by her! We are assuming it’s the cat that did it, could’ve been the 4yr old nephew…

Epoxy it is then…

globalti
    Free Member

Why is the hawk standing on some bananas?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ceramics sculpture – repairs advice?’ is closed to new replies.