Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Ceramic coating of Cranksets ?
  • simonm
    Free Member

Can anyone recall the US company that does ceramic coating of cranksets ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

No…but do you mean chainrings?

Milkie
    Free Member

What sort of ceramic coating? There are UK companies that can do this, although I doubt it would be cheap.

simonm
    Free Member

The guy in the states was doing rings and crank arms, he was selling XTR cranks on Ebay at one point that were ceramic coated.

Wanted to breathe some like into my XTR crankset, all the mechanics are good, its just a bit worn looking.

compositepro
    Free Member

I can put you in touch with the company in the UK that does this
    They will not do a one off but if you have 10 to do they will take on the job

you will also have to pay for tooling to hold the component part whilst the conversion takes place for my 6 hole rotor and chainring tools this was 220quid for the cassettes it was 350 quid as they have a bigger mass if you consider the testing we have had to do and design changes the tooling cost soon add up its not quite as simple as holding the part It will change as the process applies

Also the companies in question will not guarantee your coating if its not a substrate they can confirm the metallurgy of.

I have already just done this on brake parts and drive train parts I’m working on.If this is for wear resistance there are 3 companies that provide the same coating and some others which are slightly harder wearing but more costly

simonm
    Free Member

interesting, but amazingly expensive !

DT78
    Free Member

What are the advantages? Lack of wear?at that price may as well buy new

compositepro
    Free Member

the cost of course is dependant on how many of a product you do for me its not a problem the expense was tooling to hold them. The actual component cost is reasonable if your doing more than one I have no idea why you would want to coat a crank arm however??

At that price you could buy new but its more for the weight weenies you can make a disk brake rotor a 5th the weight of a current one with no heat or wear issues and cheanring’s show no wear at all cassettes of aluminium however are doomed to failure even when coated theres a good couple of years testing gone into this.

dirtyrider
    Free Member
    simonm
    Free Member

SHAWNEE, Thats the one.. Cheers.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Ceramic coating of Cranksets ?’ is closed to new replies.