Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Ceramic bearings???
  • gazzol
    Free Member

Hi people,
    My not very old (300ish miles)rear wheel has developed a rumble in the bearings so I am going to change them. Would it be OK to put hybrid ceramic bearings in? I have checked and they are available but wondered if ceramic can take the punishment that being in a hub would bring. I know that they are fitted in bottom brackets but that’s not the same.
    Thanks in advance.

tomd
    Free Member

It would be OK but why? They’re sort of into the snake oil territory for mountain biking. Good quality SS bearings will perform really well and be cheaper.

mattyfez

Of it’s a cup and cone type hub, it might just want a regrease and a bit of adjustment?

LeeW

Never found ‘value’ ceramic bearings to be any good, if the steel isn’t great the balls can brinell or dimple the tracks quite easily which affects rolling. Unless you’re going to spend lots on them, good quality steel bearings are much better and far more cost effective.

Caveat, based on my limited experience in PMA for Timken aerospace and replacing like for like ceramic bearings in my Easton wheels.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Having read somewhere online, I would be avoiding ceramic HYBRID bearings especially in a wheel.

But yes ceramic bearings are brilliant in bbs that is at least.
    I’m waiting for my DT Swiss stainless ones in hubs to fail or need replacing to go ceramic.

If you’re one to notice the loveyliness of the best kit by upgrading then ceramic bearings would be worthwhile.
    Soooo smoooth.

orangeboy
    Free Member

For the mtb ive mostly used a good stainless bearing , did try some full ceramic and hybrid ones when the full ceramic went wobble but could not tell the differnace when I rode the bike so saved the money and went back to stainless

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Ceramic bearings???’ is closed to new replies.