Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Centreparcs Whinfell – family break – must do's and don't
  • mau00149
    Free Member

Family holiday booked for 4 nights in March to Whinfell Centreparcs for the myself, the better half and 18 month old…..first holiday of this type…..what are the do’s and donts to a succedssful holiday at centreparcs???

bearGrease

Don’t

Stoner
    Free Member

ask on mumsnet? 😉

iainc

we went to Whinfell regularly when kids were young, and it was great for young families. Haven’t been in about 3 yrs. Our main points from it : swimming area is main highlight and is free, pick your time of day to work in with kids ages. Lots of toddlers in morning, less so in afternoon. Restaurants were moderate standard and expensive, we didn’t eat out much in latter years. Your wee one will be too young for most of the rip off activities, but good for face painting, toddler stuff.

There is some decent riding nearby if you need some ‘dad time’, I found some good stuff with cx bike, however the risk of bike theft is quite high and last few trips I just hired a clunker and forgot about it.

Oh, and you will see more odd shapes with body tattoos than you would imagine possible 🙂

marcus7
    Free Member

Make good use of the pool!, with an 18 month old there are not many activities you could do (which will save you money) 😀 . Get a bike trailer and have an explore!. Don’t listen to the majority of nay sayers on here, it’s not that bad for younger families.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Pool is great. Kicking about on bikes is great. enjoy.

Speshpaul

we’ve had some really nice times there.
    the kids 16 and 12 are talking about going back.
    take your own beers and wine, the were a bit pricey on site.
    the sports centre has the best eating place, quick, basic but nice and cheaper than the others.
    take some wild bird food and nuts you should be able to get the wildlife right up to the back door.
    if you take a bike don’t leave it outside, a shame but true.
    Have fun

andyr
    Free Member

When you’re packing make sure you have an easily accessible bag(s)/ pushchair that have all your swimming stuff/towels/things for the nipper in so you can go to the pool. You have to leave your car in the car park until 3pm (or is it 3.30?) so unless you get there late you’ll need something to do. Don’t go down to get your car bang on 3pm – they’ll be a massive queue. Same on your last day. Pack your car and leave it in the car park but go swimming/whatever for the day as you can stay there until 10pm I think.

Hire a trailer, or depending on your length of stay, it may be cheaper to buy a second hand one and take it with you (that’s what I did). They use Burley Cubs which are really good but I’ve got 2 sons so need something a bit bigger.

There’s a soft play in the sports complex, some great outdoor play areas, lots of widlife to spot (red squirrels at your back door – kept the oldest entertained for hours), nature trails, off piste mtb, etc, etc. Big bike locks.

Don’t get any of the ‘welcome packs’ – logs, food, etc. They don’t save you any money. The supermarket is quite expensive so take your basics (bread, cereals, milk, etc) with you if you can.

dmorts

Regarding bike theft, while I acknowledge it occurs everywhere I think Whinfell isn’t too bad out of all of the Centre Parcs. Wouldn’t lock up a nice bike outside though but then I wouldn’t do that at home either

iamsporticus
    Free Member

We’ve done Whinfell and Nottingham

Both were good I suppose but we’ve never been back

Whinfell felt much nicer, decent space between cell blocks, and the pool was better I think
    The digs at Whinfell are much bigger too, we booked the same price grade at each and easily got our bikes inside but at Nottingham you had no chance

Dont forget the KY

🙂

Speshpaul

Whinfell was built by a different company, Oasis (?) and bought out by CP.

matt_outandabout

I grew up there (Temple Sowerby). There are some lovely spots in the Eden valley, so please go and see some and spend in the local economy.

hora
    Free Member

I cant help think that centreparcs is the modern version of Butlins and Pontins (it is).

MoreCashThanDash

Don’t have sex in a family changing cubicle at the pool.

GrahamS

I had my reservations before I first went, but Whinfell is really very nice.

Only advice I can really offer is never book a holiday there at peak times – it is waaaay nicer when it is less busy. And if there is any activity you or the kids particularly want to do then book it in advance.

No problem leaving my bike and trailer outside around Whinfell by the way – no one is going to bother with attacking a heavy d-lock when there are five dozen other bikes next to it that are unsecured or chained up with a flimsy bit of wire.

GrahamS

I cant help think that centreparcs is the modern version of Butlins and Pontins (it is).

It isn’t, but I’m not sure why that would be a bad thing anyway.

Harry_the_Spider

Been loads of times. It is great.

Take your own food and booze. Use the pool. Have fun.

Sod what others say.

marcus7
    Free Member

Hora and thinking… not the easiest of bedfellows…. as ever a lack of knowledge is not holding back your opinion…. 😉

hora
    Free Member

Sorry if I can’t confirm with your opinions.

It fulfils a requirement for home holidaying with entertainment for people with children. I don’t like hearing, seeing, being around other peoples noisy and annoying children.

I’d rather have sex with Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis.

bentandbroken

Centre Parcs is one of the few places in the UK that is happy for you to take a camera into a swimming pool so my advice would be take lots of photos while you are in the pool!

If you don’t have a camera that you are willing to take in, buy one of the disposable waterproof ones that they sell and use that. They are not that pricey and take a reasonable shot.

In Longleat they also have a full on waterproof DSLR and will take group images for free, you just have to ask at the service desk if you can’t see anyone in uniform taking photos and they will arrange for one of the lifeguards to join you. You only buy the image(s) you want. Its a bit more expensive, but we have two great family photos about 3 years apart

GrahamS

So would I hora, but they are never available at half term.

molgrips
    Free Member

It fulfils a requirement for home holidaying with entertainment for people with children. I don’t like hearing, seeing, being around other peoples noisy and annoying children.

That’s a lovely and positive contribution to the thread hora, well done.

hora
    Free Member

Actually thats a good point. I’ve come onto a thread with nothing to help the OP’s question. Sorry folks 😀

marcus7
    Free Member

Thanks for sharing…. 😉

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

CenterParcs is OK esp when you have small kids, everything works and is well organised. Last time I was there 2006 the TV in our chalet stopped working, they just turned up with a new one 10 mins later. There ought to be a slight tickly sensation at the base of your brain, but don’t worry that’s just the scar from the “conformity chip”.. they insert it at the gatehouse on your way in.
    Enjoy yourself.

aracer
    Free Member

So you inflict your noisy annoying offspring on other people who don’t have children?

Have no experience of CP, but given I actually quite enjoy going to Butlins with the kids (clearly I’m not as big a snob as some – it isn’t cheap though so we more often go to a caravan park!), maybe I’d like that too.

hora
    Free Member

So you inflict your noisy annoying offspring on other people who don’t have children?

No and if you mention caravans I’d rather sleep with Miley Cyrus (shudder).

dragon
    Free Member

Don’t eat at the restaurants unless they’ve improved significantly. If you are going to offer poached pear, having an idea of what it should be like is a help, looking at you Cafe Rouge 🙁

Place is okay, but IMO there a better similar options out there, that have less of a concentration camp feel.

mrchrispy

take your road bike and do ride great dun fell (there is a strava segment that goes from the main gate all the way to the top)

Markie
    Free Member

We had a great time.

Don’t forget locks for the bikes, I did and had to pay in the order of £15 per lock for something that looked like you could break it with a plastic fork, 🙁

Lights and so on for bikes also!

aracer
    Free Member

Your offspring doesn’t get to go on holiday? Or do you completely avoid other people when on holiday?

hora
    Free Member

Stop trying to keep an argument going and keep it on topic.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Swimming is free. Pretty much everything else costs. And when I say costs I mean it…

Worth planning enough meals to cook while you are there and taking the shopping with you. Or if you don’t get that organised call into Penrith to do your shopping. It’s 15 minutes drive away has some really lively underpants shops plus a new and very shiny Booths (in case you are a southerner that’s like a cross between coop and waitrose – but in a good way!) sounds like your little one is too young but there is an amazing old skool three story toyshop and a fantastic cinema also in Penrith. Both worth a visit.

It’s close enough to hit the Lake District if you are into hills too. Some great walks/runs/road bike/mtb outings close by. We went several times when ours were younger and I always felt the need to escape the compound 🙂

richpips
    Free Member

As Matt says get out and about.

Dun Fell, Cross Fell, High Cup Nick. Appleby etc.

rockhopper70

Call at Cranstons on the cp side of Penrith for a cooked breakfast on the morning of your arrival. Really really nice.

Take your own food and drink.

Pool is great for your child’s age.

Spot red squirrels from your patio.

Use the Kids club for three hours and go to the spa. Come out smelling like eucalyptus.

Trekster

All of the above but best of all relax, you don’t need to do anything. 💡
    Lots of people think it’s expensive, only you can decide once you’ve been.
    I’ve been taking my kids and now my grand kids for yrs, they love it.
    As above your wee one is too young to appreciate the activities but you will be able to enjoy a safe, relaxing environment in which you can enjoy your time with Jnr.
    If you can get to the aqua sauna then do so. Bowling is another activity you could do.
    Taking in activities is only as expensive as you want to make it and some are things you may never get to do anywhere else. My daughter and partner are already saving for next Xmas 😆
    Spotted a nice white/yellow YT Capra locked up in a few bays over Xmas, doubt that would be anyone from here 😉

Booths supermarket do an ordering service for your butcher meat etc, also have a good selection of local bottled beers.
    Go-outdoors in Penrith

AD

As most of the comments above. I’m currently sitting by the frozen lake in the middle of Whinfell with a fresh light snowfall covering it drinking tea. Most relaxing…
    The accommodation in the older lodges is starting to get a little bit tired but there is an ongoing refurb program. If you want to eat out, look for the two for one deals or fixed price menus in some of the restaurants. We’ve found the food quality to be pretty good (it’s not 5 star but it is a long way from rubbish) but if you’re bothered or a gourmet like some of the others on this thread just cook your own.
    Depending on when you are going, there may be a little problem – the baby pool is currently also being refurbished so is about a third smaller than it normally is (basically missing the top two pools). Not a major issue but you might want to ring the customer services to check when it’ll be finished… This just means it is quite busy in the bit that is left :). You can still use all the other pools – they are slightly cooler though.

dragon
    Free Member

Lots of people think it’s expensive

With good reason, as it is. Far better value holidays out there.

AD

Fair enough Dragon – don’t go… OP is however going and asked for some advice. I’m sure he will make his own mind up.
    It doesn’t feel much like a concentration camp to me though but I will avoid the ‘poached pear’ – thanks.

olly2097
    Free Member

Be prepared to pay £4.20 for a pint of fosters and the same for Strongbow.

They say you cant take logs and have to purchase their own wood chip 2 hour burning logs at £4.30 each. Or 4 for £15 (still expensive) Go to home bargains and get a load for 99p each.

Don’t be near the main hub. All you can hear is air-conditioning units.

Sainsburys in Penrith is but 10 mins drive away.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Centreparcs Whinfell – family break – must do's and don't’ is closed to new replies.