Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Centrelock rotors- talk to me like I'm some sort of know-nothing bozo.
  • Northwind

Got some nice DT Big Ride hubs but they’re centrelock, I’ve not had centrelock for ages… Had a look and I can just sling a set of XT or XTRs on it but that left a couple of questions, maybe someone’ll know

Do these rotors work OK with Formula The One brakes? The rotor track looks a little wider but also they have the alu carrier which I gather interferes with some brakes. It’d be 180 and 160.

They’re not that light are they? Maybe I’m wrong but it seems like adaptors (maybe the Ashima ones) and typical steel 6-bolt rotors work out lighter. As well as cheaper and easier as I have lots of 6-bolts. Am I missing something? I’m not an outright weight weenie (these are for a fatbike!) but I’d rather not spend more for heavier.

Anything else I need to think about?

hoke
    Free Member

You clearly know too much already to be overthinking it quite this much.

I suggest riding one of your bikes instead.

Northwind

Well I would but it doesn’t have any brakes 😆

hoke
    Free Member

Never understood why beach bikes needed ’em

scotroutes

I have centrelock rotors on the Amazon with BB7s. The little tab on the pads that’s used to help pad removal and installation fouls the spider by a few mm so I just shorten them before fitting.

In theory, a centrelock hub can be a bit lighter so the total weight of rotor and hub, or rotor adapter and hub probably works out very close.

hoke
    Free Member

You can just bend that tab out the way on Avid pads

rocketman
    Free Member

Erm the RT-81 carrier is a fair way inboard of the braking surface

180 mm

160 mm

No help to you but with 396s the contact area is exclusively on the outer vented part of the rotor a long way from the labels and direction indicator

Seem to recall the 160 was 120 g. 50 g lighter than the manhole cover-like RT20 it replaced

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Centrelock rotors- talk to me like I'm some sort of know-nothing bozo.’ is closed to new replies.